Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handling long boards on a jointer

If the extension itself is straight

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    If the extension itself is straight
    If your 4' jointer can straighten a 6' long board with ease (most say you can go 2x the length of the bed, but 1.5x is a certainty), you can straighten two of those, and now you can extend your jointer to 8' infeed and 8' outfeed.

Now you should be able to go 24' long without much difficulty.

Yes, it will take some time to setup. But when it comes to architectural work, it has been accomplished like this for decades.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 10-01-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    If your 4' jointer can straighten a 6' long board with ease (most say you can go 2x the length of the bed, but 1.5x is a certainty), you can straighten two of those, and now you can extend your jointer to 8' infeed and 8' outfeed.

Now you should be able to go 24' long without much difficulty.
    And then see how straight they are next week.

If I take a piece of lumber that was dry when I bought it and in my shop for a year, and mill it flat, it will not be flat in a week. Maybe you buy better lumber.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    And then see how straight they are next week.

If I take a piece of lumber that was dry when I bought it and in my shop for a year, and mill it flat, it will not be flat in a week. Maybe you buy better lumber.
    I don't disagree with that. I think most of these setups are temporary, for one specific run. Next time you set it up, you'd probably want to joint the boards again.

Phil,I'm sure you are right and it can be done. There have been a number of threads here about troubles with adjusting tables ,tables several thousands dipped , jointer cuts concave ,jointer cuts convex. Small adjustments on jointers make big differences .I've worked in shops where new guy comes in and wants to rebuild jointer before getting out small s4s order. Management takes dim view as survey work and
    string running was done before building was started and they expect employees to cooperate .My only objective here is to stress that a skilled helper is better than building something on company time that no one else is going to use ,and I have acknowledged the set up op brought to our attention could be useful to someone working alone. Most of the jointers in commercial shops I've worked in have beds 6 to 8 feet long and it's rare to get lumber over 16 feet long,so if jointer is set up accurately ,occasional help is the easiest way to get the work finished.

Mel, I'm curious as to how you utilize a helper jointing long stock? I haven't tried it but seems like it would open up the possibilities of greater errors while jointing?

I've used several shop built extension tables over the years and it doesn't take much to get a decent extension to work well. I recently got tired of having too many extensions for different machines in the shop so bought a set of Aigner extensions which while not cheap, are incredibly helpful in a one man shop! The same 2 tables will work on any machine I need so instead of having multiple sets I now have just the 2. I have a short bed 16" so it comes in really handy on any stock longer than 8'.

As for the lawn mower wheel.....that's a new one to me, and I think I like it

JeffD

Their job is to stand at end of out feed table ,hold on to end of the board and walk backwards ,not try to guess what needs to be done ,and by feel keep material solidly down. Since I am typically working with the bow down their job at the other end of machine is limited. As I said yesterday some are really good at keeping the material in perfect contact with machine. About a year ago I was a "guest" in a shop for a couple of days to make a piece of handrail. It was peculiar in having a ramp at one end and and easing at the other all MADE IN ONE PIECE. It took a wide piece of 12 quarter mahogany 16 feet long. I couldn't use the feeder and they had no spring hold down. But there was a guy there I had worked with years before who had a talent for feel of the work. We made a test run with the shaper off ,then ,with no fence or feeder shaped it. Of course ,he also helped face the work and band saw it. As I said yesterday,some just have a feel for this ,and some can not learn it. Without a good helper I would have insisted on improvising some kind of spring hold down.