Thread: Suggestions for finishing OSB floor and walls?

Suggestions for finishing OSB floor and walls?

I am coming towards the end of my 22x22 workshop remodel. I have OSB on the walls and OSB installed on the floor. I am looking for suggestions on finishes. I searched through the archives and saw many different suggestions from over the years; primer, no primer, kilz only, flat, glossy – many different ideas. I want the walls to be white to reflect the light. I am not so much concerned with imperfections such as lines or print bleeding through as much as I am functionality. For the floor, I don’t need it to be white, just a bit of protection. I do not expect moisture to be an issue. My questions are:

1. What would you suggest for the walls for the end state to be white.

2. What sheen would you suggest?

3. For the floor, Would you put anything on it or just leave it be? If you would finish it, what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Blog Entries
    I went with two coats of Behr Premium pure white in the satin gloss. No primer, looks great. Used that finish on the OSB walls in both the laundry room and the in the new portion of my shop. I would leave the floors unfinished.

Few year back I saw an HGTV show on lofts where an OSB floor was put down and heavily varnished to simulate terrazzo .

I used floor paint for my OSB floor. I painted it gray/blue

As for the walls may I suggest a light tan or brown to warm it up a bit. I had the same thought of using white to reflect the light but over time the shop feels very sterile and doesn't have that warm feeling. I painted my cabinets , etc tan so it warms it up a bit.
    Don

Is there a sealer you could use that would not make the wafers come loose? Will Kilz take care of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Is there a sealer you could use that would not make the wafers come loose? Will Kilz take care of that?
    I doubt it would work since its not a coating with a protective seal like poly. I put the good side up and the few pieces that have come off have been mostly from vacuuming. My floor has been down for 2 years and is still in very good shape.
    Don

I put OSB on the walls of my shop and used the oil-based Kilz as a primer before I put it on the walls. I followed that with a satin/semi-gloss latex paint after the sheets were in place. I was very pleased with the results, the walls are smooth to the touch.
    I was short one small piece and used a piece of OSB that I had not primed with Kilz to finish. I was out of Kilz so I just painted it with the latex. The unprimed piece is not near as nice--lots of slightly lifted edges compared to the smooth finish on the other.
    I was concerned that I might have problems using the oil based Kilz, but the can indicated that it could be top-coated with either oil or latex.
    Years ago, I helped my brother use OSB for a wainscoting and we pre-finished the sheets. We started by sanding them with a floor buffer and what is called a screen-back disc. Then applied a stain, followed by several coats of gym finish applied with a lamb's wool applicator with screen back between coats. The results were a smooth finished panel and they still look good 25 year later on the walls of his pizza place. I don't know why the same process couldn't be used on a floor--omitting the stain if desired.
    Last edited by Bob Vavricka; 10-03-2013 at 5:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries
    Man, I sure would,Not have used Osb on the floor without the use of another cover. Can you say mucho splinters? Go with several coats of something.

9. Hello,

There is a product called G-Floor from Better Life Technologies. I am seriously considering for my floor over the MDF panels..
    I am installing DriCore panels in a few weeks in my new workshop, and then I think I will put this over. I have considered other medias, and even some wood laminate products too...but this looks much easier and will have several other desired benefits.

HTH

M
    "Simplicity is at the heart of so much that is fine"
    James Krenov

I think OSB gets a bad wrap. If you put the smooth side up and give it a couple of coats of floor paint it really won't chip much. The best reason for OSB on the floor is the rough surface. It provides some grip especially when you hand plane, etc. Second outs cheaper compared to plywood or other floor coverings if your on a budget.
    Don

11. Wow, timing is everything. I've just joined Sawmill Creek and have been toying with an upcoming, unfinished single car garage remodel. At present, my walls are unfinished brick, but I want to frame the inside so I have studs to place insulation between, as well as having places to attach cabinets, shelves, etc. I had been assuming all of this time that I was going to be drywalling, but really like the idea of OSB instead. Coincidentally, I have also been pondering what to do about my unfinished, badly scalled cement floor. Do any of you have comments about the sound deadening qualities of OSB, at least compared to drywall? Its not a big deal if its not equal, but it would be an awesome bonus if it is, or perhaps even superior.
    Last edited by David D Smith; 10-06-2013 at 7:53 PM.

12. I would seriously look at DriCore for the floor..which is MDF but in a 2x2 square with a plastic honeycomb like back and the pieces simply slide together with the preformed tounge and groove.
    You want some air flow underneath and the plastic provides it along with insulating and comfort for the floor. Easy no tool onstall really.
    You can then put whatever you wish over the panels.
    So it would provide some sound dampening but also keep your feets off the cold and hard concrete.
    Price wise not bad, about 5 bucks a 2x2 piece.
    It also makes it easier with floors that are uneven as you can shim them.
    Home Depot caries them locally.
    There is a video on YouTube showing a fellow converting his garage to woodshop, thats where I got the idea.

HTH

M
    James Krenov

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hammers View Post
    I would seriously look at DriCore for the floor..which is MDF
    The ones I saw at Home Depot look more like OSB, but not quite as rough as the rough side.

14. Cranial Freeze, you are correct....it is OSB
    James Krenov