Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not the Bessy's but...

Not the Bessy's but...

Ya know I really miss the Bessy clasic parallel jaw clamps they use to have. The price was reasonable. I remember amazon use to put them on sale all the time. For a period, I'd buy one or two every other month. I even have a few of the real long ones for case work. Now, clamps are just stupidly expensive. I saw that woodcraft in the recent flyer had a deal on groz 4 pack with holder for gluing up doors for 99 bucks. I went by and looked at them today, and have to admit they looked good. I bought a couple kits (probably not going to use the gadgets for holding them but...) 2 24"'s and 2 40"'s. Basically 25 bucks a piece was a heck of a deal. Anyway. Worth a look if you need clamps. Ok I know you always end up with one clamp less than you need.

Nice. The Jet cabinet set (same config) is up to $240 now. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Nice. The Jet cabinet set (same config) is up to $240 now. Crazy.
    Yea, I think when I bought my 2 sets of those they were $99 or something close to that!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hankins View Post
    Ya know I really miss the Bessy clasic parallel jaw clamps they use to have. The price was reasonable. I remember amazon use to put them on sale all the time.
    Actually, Amazon just had a sale on the Bessey Revo clamps - a set of two 24" for $42 or a set of 2 40" for $50. That is about half price - I ordered 3 sets

Also with the Revo's (in case you didn't know) you can take one end of and combine two clamps with an extender
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by John Huds0n; 10-02-2013 at 9:05 PM.

I"ve got a couple extenders and they are nice! I put two 60" together and it was a loooong clamp! I've not seen those prices in forever! I paid 80 way back when for two 60's and thought that was a heck of a deal. I can't tell you the times, those have paid for themselves.

But so the Groz clamps seem to be pretty good quality?
    Wonder what they hit you for shipping?
    My woodcraft is about 70 miles away.
    Thanks,
    Tony

Ya know I really miss the Bessy clasic parallel jaw clamps they use to have. The price was reasonable. I remember amazon use to put them on sale all the time. For a period, I'd buy one or two every other month. I even have a few of the real long ones for case work. Now, clamps are just stupidly expensive. I saw that woodcraft in the recent flyer had a deal on groz 4 pack with holder for gluing up doors for 99 bucks. I went by and looked at them today, and have to admit they looked good. I bought a couple kits (probably not going to use the gadgets for holding them but...) 2 24"'s and 2 40"'s. Basically 25 bucks a piece was a heck of a deal. Anyway. Worth a look if you need clamps. Ok I know you always end up with one clamp less than you need.

I am fortunate that while I currently reside in PA, I work in Del two days a week and there is a good store in Newcastle Del thats 10 min from work. That's my low cal lunch (not cheap lunch), but I go to woodcraft. So, no shipping for me! and in Del, no sales tax . Quality wise, they are the same as the besseys even down to rivet locations. Handles are actually better they are metal not wood and ridged so grip is better and I can get more torque on them. I only bought two sets because thats the most I could afford and slip them in the house unnoticed.

I only bought two sets because thats the most I could afford and slip them in the house unnoticed.
    LOL
    Sounds good, maybe since gas is down a little bit, I'll take a road trip.
    I got a set of the Groz machinist squares, and they seem of good quality.

Blog Entries
    I love my old style Besseys and wish I cold still get them. The REVO's are bulky like the Jets and Cabinet Masters which I can do without. I am wondering if you have had a chance to use the Groz and, having Bessy K-body experience, if you could comment on the similarity or difference?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

10. Those Groz clamps look an awful lot like Besseys...

I might even suggest that they are the same, minus some cosmetic differences.

Often times, things like this are contracted out to some other manufacturer and "branded" for one company or another.

A.W.D.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I love my old style Besseys and wish I cold still get them. The REVO's are bulky like the Jets and Cabinet Masters which I can do without. I am wondering if you have had a chance to use the Groz and, having Bessy K-body experience, if you could comment on the similarity or difference?

What is the country of origin for the Groz clamps? I haven't found any clamp that's as convenient and quick to use as the old bessey clamps. The new big clamps are too bulky and have too many worthless gadgets on them.

The new handle alone on the Revo is worth it in my opinion. The old wooden handle hurts my hand if I have to tighten a bunch of them at one time

I've got a case glue up this week-end, (work a regular job sadly during the week). I'll be using them side by side with the original bessy's I have, so I'll tell everyone. I think that sale is good through oct if I remember correctly. I chucked my flyer when I bought them. I said somewhere else the wood handle was the only thing I did not like about the original besseys. I never had a problem torquing them down, but after glue dried, sometimes popping them loose was a chore. Especially if your hands were sweating at all.

Just looking at the specs, the Groz are more like the Bessey Jr's. They have 3-1/4" throat openings, not 3-3/4" like on the full size Besseys. They don't list the max force, but my guess is they are closer to the Jr's.

Quote Originally Posted by John Huds0n View Post
    Actually, Amazon just had a sale on the Bessey Revo clamps - a set of two 24" for $42 or a set of 2 40" for $50. That is about half price - I ordered 3 sets

Also with the Revo's (in case you didn't know) you can take one end of and combine two clamps with an extender
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    My two sets of 40's (missed the 24's) should be here next week. Looking forward to them.

I had always used cheap clamps until a couple of months ago. A fellow creeker was getting out of the hobby, and I managed to pick up a few things from him for VERY good prices. Among those was a pretty large selection Bessey and Jet clamps. My word, what an upgrade. Worth EVERY penny of the extra cost over the generics available.