Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SCMI 24" BS on for $1800...

SCMI 24" BS on for $1800...

3 phase. What should I do? I have the money. I just resawed some 8/4 Cherry on my Rikon 10-340 with less than desirable results. Will this SCMI be a great resaw machine?
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

The Rikon 10-340 should do fine resawing 8/4 lumber.

If I were you, I'd spend the time and effort you'd put into the SCMI into marketing your woodworking business.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dunn View Post
    3 phase. What should I do? I have the money. I just resawed some 8/4 Cherry on my Rikon 10-340 with less than desirable results. Will this SCMI be a great resaw machine?

yes it will be a great machine

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    The Rikon 10-340 should do fine resawing 8/4 lumber. If I were you, I'd spend the time and effort you'd put into the SCMI into marketing your woodworking business.
    It didn't do too great on the 8/4 Cherry. Table is a perfect 90 deg to the blade. It was my best resaw cut yet with the saw though.

I'm actually doing quite a bit of marketing. I just more than quadrupled my advertising budget. I'm getting calls like crazy. One in particular is for a global display company with a Chicago branch that wants me to make 30 displays... Of some sort. I'm waiting on the drawings. I also have work coming in from some other websites that I am a member of. That, and good old fashioned word of mouth.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

I big heavy bandsaw setup for resawing isn't a terrible thing to have at all! And you can deal with the three-phase in multiple ways, including a VFD.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well, it is a quality machine and you can never have too big of a bandsaw, so if you are in need of something like that, it could be a good find. I would actually keep the Rikon for smaller projects and just set up the big one for dedicated re-sawing or whatever. Do you have thee-phase power or would you need to put an inverter on the motor to run it?

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

I'd say it is very convenitent to have two bandsaws, one for rewsaw (which that SCMI would be a good choice) and one for curve work; changing blades is a pain.
    Hooking up a VFD up to 4 (or 5)HP is easy and cost effective way of running a 3-phase machine. I have a similar size bandsaw that I run with a VFD.

I put carbide blade on my 513 grizzly and like night and day from regular blade. Now the 12" max height another story.

I have the Centauro version of that saw. Run to her now. She's a real beast and will serve as a professional grade machine for the rest of your career.

BTW, through in a lowball offer first.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I have the Centauro version of that saw. Run to her now. She's a real beast and will serve as a professional grade machine for the rest of your career. BTW, through in a lowball offer first.
    It turns out the guy selling it is a fellow creeker. He says $1800 firm.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    I'd say it is very convenitent to have two bandsaws, one for rewsaw (which that SCMI would be a good choice) and one for curve work; changing blades is a pain. Hooking up a VFD up to 4 (or 5)HP is easy and cost effective way of running a 3-phase machine. I have a similar size bandsaw that I run with a VFD.
    If I get the SCMI it'll be my third BS. I have the Rikon 10-340, and a Jet 14". I'd keep them all if I end up snagging this SCMI.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Michael do you really think you'll be bidding on a lot of jobs that require resawing? Aren't you going after commercial work? A vertical panel saw would a more valuable machine right now for the work your after.
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 10-04-2013 at 8:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    Michael do you really think you'll be bidding on a lot of jobs that require resawing? Aren't you going after commercial work? A vertical panel saw would a more valuable machine right now for the work your after.
    I think you're right. I should probably not be buying this.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dunn View Post
    It turns out the guy selling it is a fellow creeker. He says $1800 firm.

That must be the one in St Louis. I watch the classifieds like a hawk in that area. Good luck with it.

Andrew

There is a 27" Northfield for almost half price long drive http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tls/4106565867.html