Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going shorter on TS fence rails

Going shorter on TS fence rails

Space is becoming to be rare in my shop and I keep eyeing the 50" rails and extension table on my TS as a potential area to improve on this. I rarely have to position the fence that far over and I'm starting to think I could just use a circ saw to get plywood closer to final size before the TS. Most of the time the extension table becomes my dumping ground for cutoffs.

Has anyone downsized from the 50" rails and regretted it later?

Jeff

Rather than cut the rails off, why don't you advertise trading for shorter ones? Most guys would rather go longer than shorter.

It is often possible to shift the rails to the left by using different mounting holes or drilling new ones. Doing it that way, you can restore the fence to its original position if space becomes available. It also provides more ripping capacity to the left of the blade, though I have never wanted to use the saw in that way.

I would try and do as Jim suggested and trade them first.

Then if no luck I would cut them down, I have mine cut and moved to the left and I can only do 27" but that is no problem for me. I do all my sheet goods on the floor with a skill saw and find that 27" is just fine.

I think a lot depends on what you make most, if it is cabinet then you may want to really think about it but if it is not and you don't use that many sheet goods that is a different thing.

I have seen a few post on the Creek where guys were wanting to swap rails.

It would depend on how often you handle sheet goods or cutoff long boards. For the few times that I've used big pieces of plywood or MDF in projects it doesn't make sense for me to dedicate that much shop space. There always seems to be a way to improvise with saw horses, circular saw etc when the need arises.

The simple solution is to modify the extension like a drop leaf table so you have a short fence for the most of the time and can lift the wing up for the occasional wide rips. It's not complicated. Pre mount your hinges before you cut the table and rails and you will keep the accuracy of the fence. I've done on several saws for friends. It's the obvious solution but I've never seen it mentioned on the forums.

Yes, I cut down my Unifence.
    No, I have not regretted it.

It works for 90% of what I do. Pre-cutting plywood can be done with a skil saw and a home made guide.

Your needs may differ from mine.

Rick Potter

I love Rick's idea of a drop down table. Best of two worlds with much less fooling around than cutting the rails and then moving them when you need that wide cut. I hear the skill saw guys and agree it is an option but if it happened very often, setting up horses, putting them away, and depending on the setup for a "table saw accurate cut" (chime in track saw guys) would give me even more interest in the drop down table. Cutting on the floor is an option but not at my age. Only down side I see is if the right side of your saw is against the wall or something you would need to move it out for putting up the extension. Would like to hear more from some who try the dropdown. Rick-- How about a picture or two of the actual hinge mounting on both front and back rails??? Also how you support the table in the up position. You may have started a whole new thing here. Dick
    Last edited by Dick Brown; 10-06-2013 at 12:22 PM.

You put the hinges on the bottom of the table first. Providing the table is the lowest point. You could do the hinge on the rails but on a Biesemeyer the rails are different so you would have to put a shim on the back one to bring it to to the same level as the front rail. Far easier to work from a thicker table. Then you mark for your cuts. Take it apart and cut your rails and table then put it all back together. Add add a shim for the kerf you took away on the table. Put folding legs with levelers and you are done. Got pics some where but if you can't do this simple procedure perhaps another hobby is more suitable. It is the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by Rick Lizek; 10-06-2013 at 12:44 PM.

That's a pretty good idea Rick. I do store things under my extension table but other than that it would be possible.

The swap for a shorter set of rails would probably be too complicated due to my location compared to Creekers in the US. Shipping charges are outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Most guys would rather go longer than shorter.
    Master of the obvious.

I vote for shifting them to the left. Solves the problem and retains the option.

I would never give up my 52". Move them over for a little while and then see the three or 4 times you need to use them how terrible it is. More importantly what are you going to do with that 18-20 inches of space. have more walking room is about all I can think of. Unless it allows you to reconfigure or rotate your shop that space isnt going to help. Plus if you don't stack your cut offs there where will you stack them and then what happens to that space your now taking up.

13. For most of what I do I find my 25" or so adequate, A circular saw and good guides for cutting down sheet goods to a manageable size works well for me.

I still wonder what you do with the 20 inches next to your table saw even if 25-30 inches for your rails works for you.

I went from 26" to 52" back to 33". I don't regret it but I also now have a track saw and a JessEm sliding table. I miss the table that accumulated stuff but I hated cleaning it off. I work out of my garage where the cars go in every night so everything is on wheels.