Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MDF cabinets ruined by tiny amounts of mositure (can you protect it?)

As a matter of fact, yes. The MDF piece was in the hall outside of our living spaces, so subject to much greater variation in temperature. Also, maybe I just put the paint on too thin. Next time I'll know better.

As far as melamine goes not sure why it's more "ugly" than white painted shelves? Of course that's a matter of opinion so there's no right answer.....just personal preference. I prefer melamine as it holds up better as shelving than a painted shelf in my experience. Paint gets ugly over time and gets to a point where it's just not as clean. Melamine lasts for many years with normal use and cleans easily. As far as different looks there are hundreds of melamine colors and woodgrains out there. Problem is most are special order and not practical to a small shop doing a couple cabinets So then you probably only really have access to several dozen colors/woodgrains to choose from. Something like a natural maple wood grain might be a good choice? Though again, it's going to come down to what you personally can live with for your cabinets and whether or not you like the look as compared to paint?

good luck,
    Jeffd

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    As far as melamine goes not sure why it's more "ugly" than white painted shelves? Of course that's a matter of opinion so there's no right answer.....just personal preference. I prefer melamine as it holds up better as shelving than a painted shelf in my experience. Paint gets ugly over time and gets to a point where it's just not as clean. Melamine lasts for many years with normal use and cleans easily. As far as different looks there are hundreds of melamine colors and woodgrains out there. Problem is most are special order and not practical to a small shop doing a couple cabinets So then you probably only really have access to several dozen colors/woodgrains to choose from. Something like a natural maple wood grain might be a good choice? Though again, it's going to come down to what you personally can live with for your cabinets and whether or not you like the look as compared to paint?

good luck,
    Jeffd
    I wonder if melamine can look good? The cabinets that I associate with melamine are very bland and ugly, situated in a cafeteria.

But I am starting to reconsider, especially when I see most European style cabinets are done with melamine. I came across the same obstacle you mention, though: finding melamine sheets. Then at Lowe's I noticed that a search for laminate seemed to indicate that the box store sold laminate by the sheet. I assume laminate is the same as melamine. Do you know any other sources?

Laminate IMO would be more durable than the other mentioned choices. However, if it's subject to water and is not sealed very well, the water will get between the laminate and substrate and swell the substrate. We just replaced countertops because of this happening around the sink. I made a jig for a planer to form clapboards. I figured to use melamine (from a borg) because it was slick. The melamine wore through in short order. I replaced the melamine jig with one faced with laminate strips. I found the laminate much more resistant to abrasion. Laminate is more work but as long as you keep the substrate dry or use water resistant substrate, it seems quite durable and yes the borgs sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulh Tremblay View Post
    I wonder if melamine can look good? The cabinets that I associate with melamine are very bland and ugly, situated in a cafeteria.

But I am starting to reconsider, especially when I see most European style cabinets are done with melamine. I came across the same obstacle you mention, though: finding melamine sheets. Then at Lowe's I noticed that a search for laminate seemed to indicate that the box store sold laminate by the sheet. I assume laminate is the same as melamine. Do you know any other sources?

No, laminate is very much different than melamine, and FWIW if your seeing them in a cafeteria those cabinets are likely laminate. Laminate is a thick paper based sheet that is very durable but a bit different to work with. Think of kitchen counters as they've been using laminate for those since at least the 50's. Laminate is usually bought in sheets and applied in the shop onto whatever substrate your using. If done properly it is very tough and water resistant.....again think vanity tops and kitchen counters! For shelves it would be a very good and long wearing surface. Downsides of using laminate is now you have to buy the sheet of laminate and the sheet of substrate to apply it to as well as the glue. So it's much more costly. You also have more labor involved as you have to cut the laminate and glue it.

Melamine on the other hand is a film applied to a sheet of particle board, so your just buying the sheets ready to go. It's fairly durable as well, just not nearly as durable as laminate. I've seen plenty of melamine kitchens 30 plus years old that while dated, are are still in good condition. As I mentioned before melamine comes in many, many, colors and wood grains though what's available to you will depend on your specific location. Trying to find anything other than white or black will require going to a wholesale sheet goods supplier, or finding a local shop willing to sell you a few sheets. Some reasons so many kitchens are made with it is that it provides a hard flat durable surface for maybe half of what plywood costs. Additionally it's thickness is consistent, it's easy to drill and machine, and there's no additional labor involved in finishing. The only real downside I can think of is most of the banding is PVC and needs to be put on a by a bander.....you cannot iron it on. Though some guys use Fastcap double sided tape to get around this.

If your interested I would try posting your location and seeing if any local guys can help you out finding some melamine. There are more than a few pro's that post here and if someone is close to you they may be willing to help you out. Alternatively you could call some local shops or even post a WTB on CL? Or if you want really tough shelves......you could try doing your own laminate shelves

good luck,
    Jeffd

Quote Originally Posted by Paulh Tremblay View Post
    The only problem with medex is that it is hard to get, so far as I can tell. A search on line didn't relieve any distributors except on the west coast.
    FYI : I called my supplier in Atlanta yesterday about the availability of Medex and he said they have been carrying it for awhile. ..So at least in the Atlanta area it's available.

Also, I asked him about Ultralight Medex and it doesn't come that way, unfortunately for me.

A question for users of Medex : Are the bundles protected on the sides ? My supplier has gone to a source that doesn't protect the sides of the MDF I currently get and it often comes with dings and dents on the corners and edges.

Don't use MDF.

Larry

Primer? OP never mentioned if he used any or what he used. On some surfaces, you can get away without but MDF isn't one of them.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    But, perhaps I'm being too hard on it.
    No, I don't think so.
    Anybody that's done repairs on hideously expensive loudspeaker cabinets has said more or less the same.

A highball glass full of ice, on a damp napkin can forever ruin a seriously expensive cabinet - with no easy repair possible.

This stuff was invented to handle intricate machine cut patterns, not daily use in a wet environment.

Just an observation - a couple of years ago Norm Abrams did a rebuild of a kitchen where he wanted a paint type finish, - In most places. 3/4" Prefinished Maple plywood for carcasses and shelving, and Poplar for face frames, and poplar/MDF for the doors and Drawers. I like the prefinished maple in the cabinets for sure. Just a thought. If you want the painting all the way through, then your other options are available.
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Worth considering in future.http://www.melteca.co.nz/product-tool.php
    .. If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.