Thread: Question for Oneida owners

Question for Oneida owners

Hello everyone,

I am building a storage area in my shop and am going to put the dust collector and the air compressor in it for noise suppression. It will have an open doorway on one side so I won't have air flow issues to deal with. I have an Oneida 2hp commercial system that I am installing soon.

I have a question regarding noise output from the dust collector. Does the majority of the noise generate from the motor, the filters or the collector cyclone itself?

Hopefully this information will help me determine the best location for baffling to decrease the noise transmission to the rest of the house.

Thanks in advance. - Greg

KNCHomeShop

The filter exhausts noise with the air. The motor fan makes the usual noise, and the cyclone mounting can transmit noise into the house structure depending on the building materials and how you mount it.

I'm going to make a plug for KNCHomeShop. They don't have much on their website, but I called them to help with noise problems in my shop during construction including the same dust collector. They were great and free consultants. Their solutions consisted of some of their own products (some on the website and some not), as well as materials from local building supply houses.

I've improved my ceiling for keeping noise in the basement shop, and I have isolated the cyclone from the walls of the structure. When the DC is running, I will see if I have to put curtains around the filter or all of it.

Bob Stroman

Actually I think more noise is generated by the planer, the jointer, or the table saw than the O2HPC. Seriously, when I turn one of these machines off, I forget to turn off the cyclone too because I can only barely hear it through my muffs.

However, given the choices you set forth, the motor probably does radiate the majority of the noise.

I considered putting my motor up in between the joists, and lining the joist bay with carpet. I was unable to do that so I can't tell you how effective it would be. I thought it would be a good idea at the time. My compressor, as quiet as it is, is right below my wifes office/study. It is in the unfinished utility room next to the shop. I do need to do something about it for her sake. She say's it's lounder than most everything else.

Wow. That was quick.

Thanks Bob. I will give them a call.

They are only 1 1/2 hour away form me. It would be interesting to see how they make some of the ceiling acoustical panels.

Greg

Motor/blower combination is what makes the most noise. While you'll get the best reduction with a door and baffled return, tucking the machine around the corner so there is no direct radiation will noticiably reduce the noise levels. I have mine in a full closet with some sound reduction and a baffled return and any real noise in the shop is coming from the various hoods on the machines.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you all.

Thanks everyone. I couldn't back get to the computer to reply until now.

I am building a long narrow closet by taking advantage of a load bearing wall in the shop. I appreciate the input as to the noise generated by the various D/C components. I will try to incorporate as many noise suppression devices as practical. Mine main concern right now is wear to position a short wall to try to deflect/absorb as much sound as possible.

Your inputs will all help. Thank you all. - Greg