Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Foot Powered Lathe

Gotta ask, what is your reason for building this? is it mostly cost related, or do you want to enjoy the build of your own tool?

I was going back and forth a few years ago on building a spring pole lathe or a treadle powered lathe and finally had the realization that, that was a lot of work just for some chisel handles. I finally bought an old craftsman tube lathe from craigslist for $45 and made the handles i wanted. it takes up a lot less room and it turns out i'm not a big fan of turning so i'm out less than the cost of building it and i stashed it under my table if I ever need it again.
    ~Everyone has the strength, few possess the will~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Olson View Post
    Gotta ask, what is your reason for building this? is it mostly cost related, or do you want to enjoy the build of your own tool?

I was going back and forth a few years ago on building a spring pole lathe or a treadle powered lathe and finally had the realization that, that was a lot of work just for some chisel handles. I finally bought an old craftsman tube lathe from craigslist for $45 and made the handles i wanted. it takes up a lot less room and it turns out i'm not a big fan of turning so i'm out less than the cost of building it and i stashed it under my table if I ever need it again.
    On the other hand, my old Craftsman lathe, with a cast base, was bought mostly for the purpose of making chisel handles. Not only have I been able to experiment and find various styles of handles, but they can be fit to my hands. After playing awhile many other things have been made. My wife loves acorns, so now many of our cupboards have lathe turned acorns for handles.

Recently acquired a small drill chuck that makes even more things possible.

The old lathe now has a place in my shop for turning out more then just chisel handles.

Even with the electron slaying lathe I am considering building a portable treadle lathe.

Just because it is fun.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Because it was cool and I wanted to see if I could do it - was the reason I built mine. I use mine often, but not for hollowing, but I also do not have a tailed version.

Russ

a lathe with an old sewing machine treadle
    I had the same idea.

Found this on line a fruits and vegetables lathe.
    http://www.cameronjue.com/manual-feed-lathe/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Olson View Post

This is what galoots do, isn't it? Don't bring reason into it! Anyway, I did it for fun, because I enjoy working with hand tools and learning old techniques. Cost wise, you probably beat my build by a few dollars. I opted for a pole (bungee) lathe instead of a treadle since I could build it in an afternoon; after using it for over a year, I no longer want a treadle, unless it's a Barnes that I can use to cut screws!

Thanks for posting the video! It blurs the line 'tween tater and turn-up.