Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bucket List - NOT!

Bucket List - NOT!

Ya know I've been doing the woodworking thing for over 35 years. Back in the day I wanted to get good enough to make a grandfather clock. Did not know that was a bucket list item, but hey all I knew was I wanted to do it. Well here I sit, and I'm not so sure I'll ever do one now.

Not because I can't, but I'm thinking why. In today's climate of cell phones being used for time keeping, and alarm clocks, is there a point to having one. I've got a real nice wrist watch, I've not worn in years. They (grandfather clocks) are fading like formal dining rooms in houses under construction now. I don't know even if I made it, if any of the kids would want it.

Any other folks out there have a bucket list item to make and then decided against it. I'm thinking now of changing my clock to a Maloof style rocker as a bucket project.

My wife and I have never made a GF clock. We made 3 1840 Shaker wall clocks as gifts. The recipients where overwhelmed. We got burned out doing the 3 in a short time. We still have 6 to make and willstart again when the FL dries and cools. We put mechanical movements in them. No matter how people tell time to me some methods are iconic.

No harm, no foul in managing the bucket list to match your current mindset.

You cite several practical reasons for not building the clock, but I would recommend the ultimate criteria to be - do you want to do it for your own personal satisfaction? AFAIC, that would trump all other reasons for not doing it.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Both a grandfather clock and a Maloof style rocker are on my bucket list. Also, a segmented vase is on my list. I have all the tools and most of the ability to do all of them, just not enough time.

Wrist watches have become less useful nowadays because of all the other clocks around us. A grandfather clock is one more item that reduces the need for a wrist watch.

My bucket list items have evolved over time. Initially, I just wanted to build a wooden clock movement because building the case would be way too difficult. Now that I have better tools, the case is actually the easy part. So my bucket list is to build the entire clock. If it ever makes it to completion, I hope my kids would fight over who gets to keep it.

Steve

I'm hoping it is not a bucket list item but I originally started acquiring WW tools and knowledge to build a lighthouse shaped corner cabinet for the LOML. I have the design drawn but have not been able to figure out how to drill the shelf pin holes. The issue is the to stiles in the front are on an angle, so I know the holes will not be the same distance apart in the front as they are in the back.

I hope to figure it out and build it for her some day.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    My wife and I have never made a GF clock. We made 3 1840 Shaker wall clocks as gifts. The recipients where overwhelmed. We got burned out doing the 3 in a short time. We still have 6 to make and willstart again when the FL dries and cools. We put mechanical movements in them. No matter how people tell time to me some methods are iconic.
    I am drawing a blank on FL drying and cooling. What is FL?

think he means florida.

I was afraid it stood Father In Law
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Blog Entries
    Well, let me say this about that. A grandfather clock is a very special thing, the least of which is that it tells the time. As you pointed out in your OP, there are many more accurate and convenient ways of keeping time. This is not the point. I made a grandfather clock for the occasion of my grand daughters adoption into her family. Every piece of wood I cut and shaped for it is special to her and to me. It connects us like nothing else can. It stands predominately in her family's living room and everytime it chimes it reminds the whole family of that very special occasion. She is now 10 and that clock will go with her when she moves away from home. I believe that she will keep it and pass it on to her children as a reminder of me long after I am gone from this earth. I made that clock over 5 years ago and to this day it is still the absolutely most enjoyable project I have ever made.
    So just because the utility of a grandfather clock has lessened over the years, the value of having one made with your own hands hasn't diminished one bit.
    Here is a link to a web album of my grand daughter's clock.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Larry - that's beautiful work, and an even more beautiful story. How 'bout a picture of the Grand daughter?
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Well, let me say this about that. A grandfather clock is a very special thing, the least of which is that it tells the time. As you pointed out in your OP, there are many more accurate and convenient ways of keeping time. This is not the point.
    +1
    Nice work, BTW.

Blog Entries
    Funny thing is that a GF clock was not on my bucket list when I started it. However, a pool table is. I have wanted to make one ever since I got into woodworking. My problem is that I don't have a place for one at my house. Plus the materials to build one is pretty much out of my budget. So, I have been working on various friends and relatives to talk one of them to let me build one for them as long as they fund the project. No luck yet, but I am working on my lawyer son. Problem is, even though he has room for one, he doesn't play pool. What to do , what to do???

Oh, and BTW: I have no idea what an FL is either or why it needs to be dried and cooled.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 10-08-2013 at 2:24 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Oh, and BTW: I have no idea what an FL is either or why it needs to be dried and cooled.
    I do believe it is his location: FLorida!
    Take off a full blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/2 blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/4 blade - How the H--- can it be 1/4" short????

You obviously haven't spent any summer in Florida. It is really rather hellish. I will take snow storms any day.

I believe that is the most beautiful Grand Father clock that I have ever seen. You are a master craftsman!!