Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proper tool for small chamfers?

Max, do you have a broad chisel - on the order of 1" wide?

That would be my first choice, if you can get it sharp.
    A paring (swivel) motion is difficult to manage with a plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McDermott View Post
    Jay, For those tiny pieces with tiny chamfers, I'd lay a sheet of 150 grit on the bench and pass the blocks back and forth. It'll be quick work. I find it easier and safer to move the piece over the tool when it gets small like that. A couple peeks en route and you'll have it where you need it to be in no time. Out of curiosity, what are all these tiny blocks for? Baby blocks with letters and numbers? Bill
    No kids here, and not nearly that many blocks
    I'm messing around with a few designs for modular-ish storage and organizational pieces for the house and maybe my office. The blocks can serve as risers, decoration, or receptacles (when drilled with the proper holes/ hole patterns). It's a pretty ho-hum series of pieces, but I thought it would be a good skill builder, and it fits in with the scraps and small chunks of wood I have on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    I had to address the same issue some time ago - square chamfered ebony pegs.

The first few, I scribed layout lines around the ends and sides, and used a sharp block plane. Pretty soon, I had the hang of it, and just plowed ahead.

It really is easy, and very fast, with the block plane - you can always do some trial runs on scrap pieces.
    So far my cleanest cuts have come from my chisels, but the best bevel consistency has come from the block plane. I tried out a few different methods this weekend, and all fell short in one way or another. It was a good learning experience, and has given me a couple more ideas to try as soon as I get the time.

My sharpening skills, while never great to begin with, were exceptionally poor this weekend. After somehow putting a nick into the block plane blade, I stopped to regrind and tune everything else back up. I blued the blade and ground it way out of square at the same time, so I decided to leave off until my patience returns...