Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walter Meire bought by Tenex Capital Management!

Walter Meire bought by Tenex Capital Management!

I hope this does not mean a downgrade in the quality of tools!

Who is Walter Meire and what tools do they make?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

You could argue that Jet and PM were all ready run as if owned by venture capital. They haven't set the bar that high. Dave

Blog Entries
    WMH tool group is a member of Walter Meir. That means that Jet and Powermatic.

JET®, POWERMATIC®, WILTON®, PERFORMAX®, COLUMBIAN®, WAXMASTER®, and POLISHMASTER®.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Brooks View Post
    I hope this does not mean a downgrade in the quality of tools!
    i doubt they'd go from decidedly average to outright poor overnight, but there is that possibility. of course, that kind of a reduction in the standards to which their tools would conform would probably be associated with a healthy increase in the price of their tools.

Please advise what makes them average compared to their peers and who you think their peers are.

Blog Entries
    Let's not start a paint-war. Grizzly, WMH, Baileigh, Steel City, Delta, etc. are all peers. The price issue mentioned may be a poke at the fact that some of these guys are priced much higher than others; sometimes double. The crash and burn of badges like Porter-Cable tend to get some of us in a twist when our favorite falls under the knife ;-( I will hope that WMH at least maintain their current levels. Maybe it even hints at an influx of capitol that will do good things.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-10-2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: grammar
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I get a chuckle every time I see Jet's prices for the 18 inch bandsaw. about 5 years ago, maybe 6, I bought the 18x (which was the square column version of the same saw). The current version has a quick release and a triangular column, but is otherwise the same spec and is about $1750. I paid $1075 when I got mine (the MAP at the time was about $1199, though). Nonetheless, it's humorous to call that a $1750 saw.

We have a term around here for powermatic "domestic pricing and import quality". when a friend and I went to IWF a few years ago, we kept looking at the powermatic machines expecting to see something US made because of the price, and then after that, looking for the "actual sale price" of the machines when they turned out to all be imported. I guess the tags on them represented their actual sale price, which was awfully close to what a lot of the euro machines were, and in some cases higher. There's a disconnect there that I just flat out don't get.

Whatever the reason was for the very sharp price increases after I got a BS years ago, it sent me looking elsewhere when i needed a midi lathe.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 10-10-2013 at 9:35 AM.

Interesting, I had not heard of the purchase. One way to look at it is, there are folks out there willing to put a lot of money out for something they see value in. Does not have to mean cut in quality necessarily. It will depend on the management team they put in place.

As to the tools and where made, that can be a mixed bag. When I got back into WW around 11 years ago after a few years of break time. I took a chance on Grizzly and have to admit I've been lucky. I bought the 1023 10"TS, the 17" BS, and the 12" jointer. The first two were Taiwan and the last china. All have served we well and I can't complain. At the price point I had, it was the right decision (as i knew things then). Today, I'd go a different route. The solution I've been going to now is to buy old american iron. I started with a northfield 18" planer I got for 1500 on ebay thats so far ahead of anyhting out there now. It was built in the 60's. I wish I'd know about this option back when I started buying tools. I also picked up a 1934 delta BS (the original) for a couple hundred, and I've got an old Walker-Turner 16" bs that as soon as I replace the bearings, will be a 1000lb hoss.

I was in woodcraft yesterday and they had a lot of the nice big PM tools on the floor and I was impressed with the fit and finish and they have a lot of cast iron, but I can also tell where they cut corners. The big bandsaw was impressive. The big lathes, and planers looked top notch with big price tags as well. All had plates listing either Taiwan or china. Breaks my heart, but thats how it's been for a long time. I've noticed even the lower end laguna's that were there are chinese (3000 series).

In the end time will tell. I just hope and pray they are sucessful and don't take those tool lines down the B&D road. Thats a hope anyway.

I am particularly interested in this as I will be entering the table saw market within the next year and trying to decide between Powermatic and Delta. For all you Sawstop evangelists, I have not ruled them out nor have I ruled them in. So, Powermatic and taken a slide in the best decade?

Dale, Delta is in a bit of turmoil too. I've read many post about lack of parts, customer support, etc.
    Just my thoughts, and they are not meant to interfere.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

No, please do interfere. This forum and my father are the only people I have to rely on when it comes to tool acquisition. His shop is fully outfitted so he is worthless to me when it comes to buying new tools - he is not in the market nor pays attention to it.

Seems like all the good stuff has gone to pot in the past decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Dale, Delta is in a bit of turmoil too. I've read many post about lack of parts, customer support, etc.
    Just my thoughts, and they are not meant to interfere.
    Bill
    I think Delta might be improving. They have a parts ordering site up now that shows inventory levels on parts. I know they've stumbled, but it is entirely possible they're getting their you-know-what together.

Not to get off topic, but what's up with Delta? I thought Stanley switched the Delta tools they wanted to keep to Porter Cable and sold the Unisaw and Delta name to a Taiwanese company. Now on The American Wood Shop (PBS) runs the same Delta/Porter Cable sponsor ads that ran on the New Yankee Workshop.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I think Delta might be improving. They have a parts ordering site up now that shows inventory levels on parts. I know they've stumbled, but it is entirely possible they're getting their you-know-what together.
    Man, I sure hope so. I ended up replacing a switch with a Grizzly part that would fit just because Delta has been MIA. I need another lathe part that is proprietary. I'll have to check out the site you mention Phil.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Walter Meier. PE firms are there to maximize value, which I would not read to lower cost and raise quality. Here is a bit more on the deal:

The transaction is expected to close by 31 October 2013.

Michael Green, chief executive of Tenex Capital Management, says: “In Walter Meier Tools, we have acquired a strong company with great brands and a growing market share in each of its segments. The well recognised brands of JET, Wilton and Powermatic define the resilience and durability of the products. We look forward to supporting the company and its management team in executing its continuing growth initiatives.”
    http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...nufacturing%29

http://www.privateequitywire.co.uk/2...tools-business