Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shelf pin drilling jig

Shelf pin drilling jig

Anyone have a recommendation for a 32/5mm shelf pin drilling jig? I've used the Veritas and it worked well - but took forever to set up and is expensive. The cheap plexiglas rocker/woodcraft models look they could be inaccurate since there's no sleeve keeping the drill bit perpendicular to the workpiece. Should I just make my own, or is there another jig I dont know about?

thanks
    Melad StudioWorks
    North Brookfield, MA

i made my own based on this http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchi...23holejig.html
    i sized mine to fit my building needs.

Make your own.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

thanks, i just found that link, too. i figured making my own would be my best course of action. should work fine - until i get a line borer, that is.
    Melad StudioWorks
    North Brookfield, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Melad View Post
    Anyone have a recommendation for a 32/5mm shelf pin drilling jig? I've used the Veritas and it worked well - but took forever to set up and is expensive. The cheap plexiglas rocker/woodcraft models look they could be inaccurate since there's no sleeve keeping the drill bit perpendicular to the workpiece. Should I just make my own, or is there another jig I dont know about?

thanks
    I have that jig - and I agree that it was expensive. As for the long set-up time, after I used it a couple of times, setting it up became much quicker. I don't think you're going to find a better jig than this without spending significant money.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

There's also this: http://www.euro32products.com/euro_3...g%20System.htm
    but it's about 200$, but looks very easy to use/replicate.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hawxhurst View Post
    i made my own based on this http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchi...23holejig.html
    i sized mine to fit my building needs.
    +1 - this is a great jig and super easy to make.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Harding View Post
    I have that jig - and I agree that it was expensive. As for the long set-up time, after I used it a couple of times, setting it up became much quicker. I don't think you're going to find a better jig than this without spending significant money.
    yeah, i think it's either the veritas or shop made - i just noticed that there are edge clamps available for the veritas which would make drilling for dowels or confirmats prety easy. to spend or not to spend...
    Melad StudioWorks
    North Brookfield, MA

Make your own, but also use a plunge router to bore, not a drill, and the perpendicular issue disappears.

Yeah, a plunge router is way better than a drill. Like Steve says, the perpendicular issue goes away. And the router spins so fast that there's no splintering around the edge of the holes, even in delicate plywood. Also, you get a reliable depth stop.

I use a commercial jig from Woodhaven -- http://www.woodhaven.com/Woodhaven-7...&searchSize=12 Not expensive, durable. For 99% of the time, I only need to bore a line of holes that's 37 mm from the edge. A $40 jig does that perfectly well. And when I need to put the column of holes someplace else, a couple of clamps or a shop-built spacer does the job. Those $200-$300 jigs offer capabilities that aren't really necessary.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 10-10-2013 at 11:15 AM.

Nice, I hadn't seen an inexpensive commercial jig for use with a router. Did you buy their guide bushing, or is it the same size as a standard/Porter Cable 3/8" bushing?

I agree using a router does provide a cleaner, more accurate cut. But it seems like the benefit of the Veritas is that is can set up for edge boring, front and back at the same time, and vary the distance of the hole off the edge - very useful for drilling for drawer slides. Basically more versatile, but also 5x the price.

For 99% of the time, I only need to bore a line of holes that's 37 mm from the edge. A $40 jig does that perfectly well. And when I need to put the column of holes someplace else, a couple of clamps or a shop-built spacer does the job

Good point..

Thanks for the input
    Last edited by Ethan Melad; 10-10-2013 at 12:18 PM.
    Melad StudioWorks
    North Brookfield, MA

Like the Woodhaven jig/router setup too, comes in inch or metric with different lengths depending on needs, solid phenolic to boot.

Also, don't count out the low end line boring machines. Sometimes they come up at pretty reasonable prices. Not saying that it would be cheap, but if you see a lot of holes coming up, you could probably get into one of the low end machines, and resell it without loosing your shirt. Plus, they tend to put the holes in the right places, and it takes more time to plug in the air supply than it does to actually drill a cabinet or bookshelves worth of holes.

I made mine and it works very well. I found that a router was so much better then a brad point or a twist bit and faster to boot.

I made mine with 1" spacing and if I want them say 2" I just put painters tape of every other hole. I use a dowel to do the spacing if I have a tall cabinet to do.

I used a compass to lay out the holes and drilled then on the drill press. I then to a countersink to each hole so the router bushing would drop in really easy.

91796523.bzQO6TWT.P1133625.jpg

I built the shelf pin jig from NYW. It uses a router and guide bushing and is based on 1" hole spacing. It has an adjustable fence, mine is marked in inches. I don't see why you couldn't easily make another version for the 32mm system. You could incorporate the movable fence or make it fixed. However, for $40 its hard to beat that if it works for you and you consider your time.

If I were doing a bunch of cabinets with holes in the same locations, I would make a dedicated template that registered off the workpiece. No measuring except to make the template.