Thread: Variable Control Modual for 110vt 1/4 hp Grizzly Power Feeder

Variable Control Modual for 110vt 1/4 hp Grizzly Power Feeder

Does anyone have any reasons why I couldn't purchase a VS controller (like people do for routers) for my power feeder?

Thanks!

P

Yes I have a reason it will not work! It has an induction motor, not universal as in a router! That is if you are talking the router type speed control.
    Last edited by Duane Meadows; 10-10-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Meadows View Post
    Yes I have a reason it will not work! It has an induction motor, not universal as in a router! That is if you are talking the router type speed control.
    Thanks... is there any electrical way I can vary the speed? I have the WH Shop Fox molder knock-off, and it has the same type of motor with variable speed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

I also would like to make mine variable speed but I was told I would need to change the motor and when I looked quickly motors were going to be more than I would spend on it.

Get a 3 phase feeder and you should be able to vary the speed with a VFD to some extent.

It's a 1/4 hp 110 v unit. I've never heard of 3-phase for such a small feeder. The slowest geared-speed is 20 fps which is just a pinch too fast for some operations. My molder which has a much larger but same type of motor, (220 v), has variable speed. I'm thinking there must be a way without buying a new motor or feeder because the molder is sort of "proof". Though I fully admit I do not know the difference between a router motor and an induction motor...

There are electrical ways to do it - but they'll likely cost you more than the feeder itself.

How is the molder serving as proof? Does it have the exact same motor as your feeder?

I think you'll have an easier time having a custom set of gears made to lower your speed - if there's room for that (there probably isn't).
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Paul, an induction motor is locked to the power line frequency(60Hz in the US). The only way to vary the speed electrically is to vary the frequency. This is commonly done with 3 Phase motors. Many VS single phase stuff is done with permanent magnet DC motors, they may look more or less the same, but are totally different.

If you can find a VFD(variable frequency drive) for single phase motors, it should work, at least in a limited speed range. But many motors will not work well at lower frequencies.
    Last edited by Duane Meadows; 10-11-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Thanks a lot for the explanation, Duane. Do you think something like this might work? http://www.wolfautomation.com/produc...FSJqMgodYhQArw

You are right, Jason. There isn't room for a larger gear. Maybe Grizzly tech-support...

WOW. Problem solved. Tech-support has a gear kit to slow me down to 13 fpm for $52 including shipping. Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Simmel View Post
    Thanks a lot for the explanation, Duane. Do you think something like this might work? http://www.wolfautomation.com/produc...FSJqMgodYhQArw
    No it will not, but glad you found a solution!