Thread: Miter cuts greater than 45 degrees -lengthwise?

Miter cuts greater than 45 degrees -lengthwise?

I've got to make some outside corner mouldings that will be less than the standard 90.
    Any thoughts on how to cut the 2 long adjacent pieces on the tablesaw?
    I need to make a cut of 52 degrees.
    Only way I can think of doing it is attach a long wedge to the table saw with double sided table. Thereby lifting the workpieces up to the reguired angle when running them against the fence. Haven't tried it yet though, in case there's a better way.
    Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

might need more info, how long are the cuts, how wide is the trim.
    On sharp angles for staircase trims I setup a SCMS with a clamped 'fence' set 90 to the mitersaw fence which allows normal range of cutting on the saw.
    The limitation of cut length is the slide travel of the saw itself.

A long cut on a table saw might require a temporary 'fence' clamped to the saw top, similar to cove cutting jigs or even a taper jig using miter slots or regular fence.
    Straight rip miters can be done on table saw directly at most any degree, might need to orient the board being ripped awkwardly against the fence so some jigging might be required.

Make a 90º-45º-45º triangle you can clamp to your miter gauge.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I'm ripping the trim lengthwise & cuts will be 7 feet long. This is why I have to use the tablesaw.
    The 2 adjacent pieces that I'll be gluing together are 2.5 inches wide, 5/16 think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Ewell View Post
    might need more info, how long are the cuts, how wide is the trim.
    On sharp angles for staircase trims I setup a SCMS with a clamped 'fence' set 90 to the mitersaw fence which allows normal range of cutting on the saw.
    The limitation of cut length is the slide travel of the saw itself.

A long cut on a table saw might require a temporary 'fence' clamped to the saw top, similar to cove cutting jigs or even a taper jig using miter slots or regular fence.
    Straight rip miters can be done on table saw directly at most any degree, might need to orient the board being ripped awkwardly against the fence so some jigging might be required.

Flip the piece over and make the cut at 38 degrees.

Edit: Oops I meant flip the piece on its side, not over.
    Last edited by Joe Hillmann; 10-10-2013 at 2:54 PM.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Double-stick tape or pin the piece to a long scrap (like a 2-3" ripping of plywood) and run it on edge with the blade tilted to 38 (38 + 52 = 90). The scrap lets you cut right to the edge without dropping into the insert slot.