Thread: Grizzly sliding table review..

Post Grizzly sliding table review..

Hi. all
    Well it's been a couple of weeks since we were in Branson Mo and Springfield Mo. [Grizzly] store. I mounted the sliding table without much problems and been checking it out for square and such.

There are 3 sets of double holes in the sliding table. The first holes are smaller and the second ones are the same size as the table saw. But the first ones are the ones that line up with the saw, 11" apart. So I had to drill them out to fit the studs from the saw. But later used smaller bolts 3/8 to let the table drop down to be just a little bit above the saw table.

As I mentioned before the sliding table is so very smooth and quiet, no grinding noise and no side to side movement.

The pictures show my saw before the table was mounted. It is a Delta contractor saw about 24 yrs old that has served me faithfully. There is a picture of the router cabinet under the miter saw stand which came off of the left side of the saw and the front faced the side.
    It will be mounted on the right side in the later pictures.

Also you will see how good the box is the the table came in. Cardboard about i inch thick.

After I had the table mounted on the saw and was satisfied the everything was square I took a 1/2 inch 2ft by 4ft pc of plywood and did some serious checking for square. I set the fence 1 degree off square and put the 2ft end again the fence and lined the point up with the blade and made the first cut. Than I put the fence back to 90 and put the fresh cut again the fence and cut it. I made each cut and turning and putting them to the fence until all side were cut. I than checked with a square and it was perfect, thank you Lord.

Now the fence is well made but cannot be moved any closer to the blade. It is fixed in a notch and can not slide either direction.

The miter gage at first would not move until I loosened the bolts that mount it to the miter part. It than dropped down and let the pointer raise above the miter gage and this was why I couldn't move. The the miter gage pointer was rubbing against the gage. I did have lower it more because it rubbed some of the faction lines off.

The tape on the fence can be moved so it can be set to match the distance from the blade. But when you extend the flip stop to the far end you have to move the tape and than reset it for the shorter distance, not good but doable.

I also have a Jointech miter sled which also will fit on the sliding table. And I think I like it better because it extends to 48" and the two tapes once set do not have to be reset even if you miter. Also the right side of the fence stays about a 1/16 away from the blade and never changes. with this setup it is almost like the sliding tables on regular panel saw where the table is right next to the blade. And I can still cross cut 48" even with this sled on the slider. I drilled a hole close to the bottom on the left side of the Jointech to fasten it the the sliding table with the left handle from the other fence. This sled worked great but could only safely cross cut about 13" all though I have cut 20" but it's kind of shaky when just on the table saw as it was before I got the slider.

Both fences will be fine but I think the Jointech on the slider may be better for the accurate cuts that I need.

I have a whole bunch of ideas for all kinds of jigs for this sliding table.Yes I have been watching Hammer, Min-max and the Fritz and Franz video.

I really am going to enjoy this sliding table and it will help so much with the wide cross cuts and guess all cuts. I also used it just playing around and tapered a board by angling the fence to match a line that I drew and cut a taper. Works good.My main router table is 32" by 60" and same hieght as the table saw and works peerfect for an out feed table
    with the router fence off. I can rip 8ft long and still be on the table.

I live in Davenport Ia. and if any one would be in the area and would be interested in seeing this sliding table give be a call and I would be glad to show it to you.
    The pictures are all together but you should get the idea of what I was trying to tell you.

Thanks for looking,Bob There will be more pics next post because can't get them all on one post
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Potter; 10-11-2013 at 12:26 AM.

More pictures of Grizzly sliding table

Here is more pics after I was done with everything. The legs for now are kept from touching the floor until I get some angle iron and mount it to the mobile base on the saw.
    I really do like this sliding table, I know I said that before but I really do.

Thanks again, Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-11-2013 at 1:17 AM.

Bob

That looks pretty nice,and should be great addition to your saw. I have JessEm slide on my saw and it has served me very well.
    Does your Smart Miter connect right to it,or will you have to modify it slightly?
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

that's a lot of accessory for that saw. when i visited grizzly's Muncy warehouse, i saw that sliding table on a cabinet saw. it's appears to be a really well made unit.

Mike
    No it fits in the miter slot on the table saw and it locks down in the miter slot on the sliding table with one of the handles with a pc that slides in the slot. It is the same pc the locks the Grizzly fence down. An by loosing up that handle it sides right off.

Bob

Hello Bob,

I have that slider on my SawStop and love it. You might be interested in how other people used it on different saws and modifications on mounting the unit.
    http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...=sliding+table
    Cheers,

Tim