Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling An Idea For a Woodworking Product

Selling An Idea For a Woodworking Product

I have a hardware product that would change the way cabinets are built and installed. I'm thinking of submitting an idea to Fastcap. Fastcap sells a lot of products that are designed by woodworkers.

Fastcap's website has a page called " Submit an idea to Fastcap" that explains the process: fastcap.com/estore/pc/Submit-An-Idea-to-FastCap-d67.htm

They don't sign non- disclosure agreements so I'd have to trust they won't steal my idea.
    Does anyone here have experience dealing with Fastcap or Paul Akers the owner?
    ​Are there other competitors to Fastcap? I'm looking for a company that makes unique hardware for cabinets.

Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-11-2013 at 8:42 PM.

Rockler also accepts ideas, and I think Woodcraft might.

No experience w/ either.

If you believe your idea truly is revolutionary, you should patent it. Not cheap nor quick, but that's the only way you can protect your invention from being stolen by anyone who cares to. Even with a patent your idea can be ripped off unless you are willing to go after them in court. As you might guess, all this can be very expensive and time consuming. So if you aren't prepared to go that route, think about presenting your idea to companies who make products that already serve that market; Fastcap may be a good choice as you said. Contact them and see if you can get a personal meeting with them to present your idea and working examples. If they won't sign a confidentiality form, move on to those who will. It all comes down to how much you believe in your idea and how much work you are prepared to put into bringing it to market w/o losing control. Another approach is to develop a relationship with some private manufacturer to make the parts for you and you sell them directly. With this approach and no patent, anyone is free to copy it the minute they see it, so the only way for you to maintain the upper hand is to offer better service, lower prices, and a constant stream of product improvements. Most people give up somewhere along the line. A scant few persevere and sometimes eventually are rewarded.

John

If you don't have the means or desire to do the leg work to bring the product to market, then talk to these companies. Also, don't waist the money upfront on a patent, it's not even remotely cheap to do. If you are going to personally develop a prototype and bring it to market, you have 1 year in the U.S. from the first time you introduce it to the public to obtain the patent. During that time, if you work your tail off marketing it, you'll know if its something worth protecting.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

E-mail me your design ideas along with any drawings and or instructions. I'll let you know what to do

I have no experience with FASTCAP, but so far have licensed two of my designs and am working with other manufacturers on other designs. As others have said, it takes a lot of time, work, and luck, and depending on what path you take, a lot of money.

Patenting- expensive ($10K - $20K +). No guarantee USPTO will issue you a patent. Have you done a patent search? Are you sure your idea or one very close to yours wasn't already patented? Is it non-obvious? It is amazing how many patents are on file (most on widgets never marketed). If you don't get a patent, you don't get any of your patent attorney and filing fees back. It is nearly impossible for a novice to successfully file and receive a quality patent. Also, as someone above said, a patent is only worth the amount of money you have for lawyers to defend it- the government or USPTO don't help you go after infringers. Numbers vary, but many books on the topic say 95% +/- of patented items never make it to market, not because they aren't good ideas or won't work (there are plenty of those, too!), but because they cannot be economically manufactured and marketed. A Provisional Patent Application (no such thing as a Provisional Patent) gives you limited protection while you attempt to market your idea, but it only lasts a year and is non-renewable.

Unless you have significant means to fund development, manufacturing and marketing, your only option is to license your design to a company that does. No manufacturer of WW widgets is likely to buy your design outright up front- too expensive for them, for what could be a pig in a poke. They may not want to license the design in your configuration and may or may not want your assistance while they turn it into something that fits their vision. Since the licensee is taking all the risks and spending money on development (few widgets as initially designed are ready to manufacture) licensing fees for typical woodworking accessories, etc. are in the 1% - 5% of wholesale cost - the lower part of that range is common. What that means is if you are getting 3% licensing fee on a widget that sells for $120 and might wholesale for $60, then you will get .03 X $60 = $1.80 for each widget sold. You ain't gonna get rich on that unless the volume is significant!

My suggestion, is read books by Pressman on patenting, do the best patent search on your own (see Google Patents), and read the World Intellectual Property Office training manual on licensing, before you go any farther.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 10-12-2013 at 11:13 AM.

No conversation about patents is complete w/out mentioning a couple of names.

Nikola Tesla and Rollin White.

Both should have been wealthy beyond imagination - but - due to very minor slips, died penniless.

Tesla is well known - White not so much.
    White invented the bored through cylinder for a revolver which allowed cartridges to be loaded from the breech - instead of stuffing a ball down on top of a powder charge (muzzle loader).
    White sold the patent to Smith and Wesson - but - S&W shrewdly put into the contract that it was up to White to defend the patent.
    White spent the rest of his life in court fighting patent infringements while S&W reaped the benefits.

Moral - make sure you read, reread and then read the fine print several times again before you sign anything...
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 10-12-2013 at 7:08 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Before you do anything with outsiders, draw the design and write a full description/use profile. Put this in a envelope and mail it to yourself.
    Keep it filed UNOPENED. This becomes a document of legal evidence that it is your design/idea.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I would suggest (and this might not be the best advise from a legal perspective) that you find a couple people you really trust to review the design and get some opinions on whether its "revolutionary" in a Sawstop/Kreg Jig/Domino kind of way or if its "revolutionary" in a computerized-router-table-fence kind of way (currently advertised as revolutionary at Rockler.com!) The latter will likely end up on clearance tables everywhere for a fraction of the original price pretty quick but I'm sure whoever came up with the idea thinks is great. There's been a long stream of woodworking gadgets that put the kitchen gadget industry to shame over the last 15 years. And a lot of those are long gone.

This is just my opinion so take it FWIW.....Fastcap has tried to build a reputation for bringing the ideas of woodworkers to market. I've read through their information in the process and it seems pretty well stated. My thought is if they were going to start stealing ideas it would not take long for the word to get out and their reputation destroyed. A hardware manufacturer on the other hand may be willing to help you out, though not likely for much if any more than what you'd get through Fastcap..... or they may just plain steal your idea. In which case you'll have to spend thousands going to court to try to get compensated.

In reality there's a lot of hardware out there for assembling cabinets. Have you thought seriously about how and why yours would be better? Would it be cheaper? Why would a manufacturer choose yours over what they're already set up for? If you can answer those questions, (to yourself), than go for it!

good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Before you do anything with outsiders, draw the design and write a full description/use profile. Put this in a envelope and mail it to yourself.
    Keep it filed UNOPENED. This becomes a document of legal evidence that it is your design/idea.
    Bill

+ 1 to this. Also, photos of your prototype are invaluable.

Good idea too, after doing the above, to pass the product/idea by a group of trusted confidants to check its validity as a innovative and useful product - certainly before spending money on more development or patent protection. Sorry, I have no experience with Fast Cap, but at the very least, do start with documentation before you throw the idea into the marketplace.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Use evidence type of envelope internal to the mailing one also. Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Bill
    And don't trust anyone, if it is truly an idea that will make money. Verbal agreements are worthless, yet written contracts are only as good as the morality of the person who signs them on the other side. A cheap attorney will save you a few bucks.....a good one will save your bacon.

I was told by our company's lawyer in charge of IP activity that patent law has changed and it is now "first to file" so lab notebooks aren't enough to challange a patent as prior art. So the envelope thing might not be very useful.

Then again, I'm not a lawyer and it only costs a stamp.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
    I have no time or desire to market this myself. I don't want to patent it myself or pay to defend the patent. I did spent money on that with another design 35 years ago and learned a lot.
    I'm inclined to go with Fastcap to keep it simple. If the product is accepted by the market that would make me happy. Making big money isn't my primary goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    This is just my opinion so take it FWIW.....Fastcap has tried to build a reputation for bringing the ideas of woodworkers to market. I've read through their information in the process and it seems pretty well stated. My thought is if they were going to start stealing ideas it would not take long for the word to get out and their reputation destroyed.
    In reality there's a lot of hardware out there for assembling cabinets. Have you thought seriously about how and why yours would be better? Would it be cheaper? Why would a manufacturer choose yours over what they're already set up for? If you can answer those questions, (to yourself), than go for it!
    good luck,
    JeffD
    Thanks Jeff. You may be right, I get the same impression about Fastcaps reputation. I will contact some of the inventors Fastcap has partnered with to hear their side.
    I made my own kitchen cabinets with a prototype of this design 10 years ago. It's more of a system that uses unique hardware. It works well, it's cheaper, and it makes storage more efficient. When I show it to kitchen people they are excited, so it's not just me.