Thread: Kapex owners, show me your shop made extension wings...

Kapex owners, show me your shop made extension wings...

Hey guys!

I'd like to build some storage and extension wings for my Kapex. I figured I'd ask and see what some others have come up with. I'm aware that the crown stop can be used in a way to allow one to build an extension.

My Kapex will be used in the shop and in the field. I have the UG mobile base and the extension wings for that.

Thanx!
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

I do not have my Kapex setup in the shop, but this is how I have my Dewalt setup.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Mike:

I thought you were close to buying some Biesemeyer tables? That is what I used for a Kapex-- 8' and 3' Biesemeyers on a torsion box table I built to sit on top of cabinets. . I can remove it when necessary, but it spends most of its life mounted in my shop.

James
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you've got the UG wings, I'd build a cabinet like James's and come up with a way to support the wings (and fine tune) on top of the cabinet with the legs folded up.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    If you've got the UG wings, I'd build a cabinet like James's and come up with a way to support the wings (and fine tune) on top of the cabinet with the legs folded up.
    I thought of that, but I want to reserve the UG and wings for site work and have a permanent home for the Kapex for shop use. Until I can afford another Kapex I'll just bring the saw from shop to UG stand and into the work van.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Quote Originally Posted by James Baker SD View Post
    Mike: I thought you were close to buying some Biesemeyer tables? That is what I used for a Kapex-- 8' and 3' Biesemeyers on a torsion box table I built to sit on top of cabinets. . I can remove it when necessary, but it spends most of its life mounted in my shop. James
    I arranged to buy the Biesemeyer miter fence from a guy here on the forum. My wife happened to be traveling to Indy last weekend. She was visiting a friend that just happened to live 2.2 miles from this guy.

He texted me Saturday morning to say that he sold them locally.

Boy was I bummed!!! No biggie. I just order the kreg system with some extra stops and extra track. I got the KMS-8000, an extra work stop, production stop, and 6' of track ($40 on eBay). Not $40 for everything. Just $40 for the 6' of track.

I'm going to build a nice row of cabinets with some door and drawers for storage. I saw a post on FOG where a guy built a nice downdraft table beneath his Kapex to further improve DC. I'm going to borrow from that. The rest was just cabinetry. Built to the proper heights.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

My shop made UG-like wings are in this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...de-Kapex-wings

Since this I've swapped out the Rigid stand for an MFT800 and added legs.

The advantage of attaching the wings to the saw like the factory extensions are that the saw re-registers to the wings the same every time, meaning no need to recalibrate the stop. You might pull off the same if you drill holes like an MFT top on your mounting pad on the cabinet if you do wings more like James's.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    My shop made UG-like wings are in this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...de-Kapex-wings Since this I've swapped out the Rigid stand for an MFT800 and added legs. The advantage of attaching the wings to the saw like the factory extensions are that the saw re-registers to the wings the same every time, meaning no need to recalibrate the stop. You might pull off the same if you drill holes like an MFT top on your mounting pad on the cabinet if you do wings more like James's.
    Very nice!!!
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dunn View Post
    Until I can afford another Kapex I'll just
    Whaaaa?!?! Another kapex?!?! Good lord man.. Your setting up a shop, and one would assume a commercial one at that.. For what you'll be tanked on these saws you could have an industrial miter saw (omga or other) and any other completely competent field saw.

Listen to your fathers words..

Chris, what model delta is that, and is it single phase? Sorry for the off topic response. I am currently building extension wings for my scms and would like to run in it together with a longer arm ras. Your set up looks perfect. I'm just short the enormous ras.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Whaaaa?!?! Another kapex?!?! Good lord man.. Your setting up a shop, and one would assume a commercial one at that.. For what you'll be tanked on these saws you could have an industrial miter saw (omga or other) and any other completely competent field saw.

Listen to your fathers words..
    Hey, I saaaaid, "When I can afford it..." (spoken childishly...)
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------