Thread: Lathe Gloat

Lathe Gloat

Since none of the other "big" lathes are in my budget, I settled for this beast. It's a highly modified Yates American T12. I can get my big bowl turning fix with the 30" outboard capacity. It's powered by a 2hp DC motor controlled by a Leeson Speedmaster. I have to wire it up tomorrow and it'll be running. This will be a big upgrade over the delta 46-460. Also got a duplicator and a bunch of other stuff with it. Can't wait to try it out.

Nice beast! Looking forward to your experiences with this. Pretty heavy?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Congratulations. Looks like a great old pice of iron.

Be be safe and enjoy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.

congratulations, they all go round

5. Congrats Jeremy..........nice old iron! That should allow you to do lots of things!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Do you have to reach over them lathe to adjust speed and shut it off? First thing I would do is put on a remote switch. Adjusting for that 30" bowl by reaching over the machine sure wouldn't be much fun!

I am a little perplexed by your photo. What is the second motor below the headstock for?

Looks like the original motor is gone and you are belted down to the 2 HP Leeson. I like the outboard rig. You have a very nice lathe! Congratulations.
    TB

The speed controls swivel back and forth depending on if you're working over the bed or outboard.