Thread: Why do auctioneers talk so goofy?

Why do auctioneers talk so goofy?

Is it all for show and entertainment or is there some reason behind why they talk the way they do?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

If you had ever attended an auction where a non auctioneer did an auction you would know why.

I recently attended a charity auction that had a non auctioneer sell the items. Things went dirt cheep, because the person selling the items did not know how to do it. The seller really did a disservice to the charity.

It is part entertainment & to hold buyers attention, so they can get the highest price.

Pulse rates rise, as they pursue their prize.

The hunting instinct is kindled by the
    pace of the auction call.

Agree with Chris

right on, Chris.His constant fast talk brings out the competition of the buyers. Max

Apparently, it's the world's greatest profession. I've been wrongfully employed for years!

http://www.auctioneers.org/schools
    -Lud

I'd love to be an auctioneer, but I stutter. I'd sell the same item to 3 different people.

Ok - makes sense.

John,,,too funny! I got a good laugh out of that.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I don't know, but I love listening to a good auctioneer. Years ago when I was in the army I knew a guy that had been going to auctioneer school when he was drafted. I remember him telling us that they taught the fast talking by teaching you to count backwards from 100 by 2 1/2's as fast as you could. Give it a try, it's hard.

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    I'm a school trained and licensed auctioneer...who has that profession deep in my back pocket as a fallback should I ever lose my pilot's license and current occupation.

The auctioneer's "chant" has the purpose of creating a sense of urgency amongst the bidders. It is wholly for the purpose of causing potential buyers to very quickly make decisions and creating fear of losing out on a desired purchase if not immediately bid. The process allows very little time to "think" about it, and requires a bidder to make virtually instant decisions.

Additionally though, an auctioneer has an equal fiduciary responsibility to both buyer and seller. The object of an auction is to determine the actual value of a given object, on a given day, to a given audience. That becomes TRUE worth.... not MSRP or Street Pricing. An auction will continue until the highest bid is reached with that sense of urgency in play, and the hammer price BECOMES the real and true value of a given item up for bid.

Frank
    Last edited by Frank Trinkle; 10-15-2013 at 9:12 AM.
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Trinkle View Post
    I'm a school trained and licensed auctioneer...who has that profession deep in my back pocket as a fallback should I ever lose my pilot's license and current occupation.

The auctioneer's "chant" has the purpose of creating a sense of urgency amongst the bidders. It is wholly for the purpose of causing potential buyers to very quickly make decisions and creating fear of losing out on a desired purchase if not immediately bid. The process allows very little time to "think" about it, and requires a bidder to make virtually instant decisions.

Additionally though, an auctioneer has an equal fiduciary responsibility to both buyer and seller. The object of an auction is to determine the actual value of a given object, on a given day, to a given audience. That becomes TRUE worth.... not MSRP or Street Pricing. An auction will continue until the highest bid is reached with that sense of urgency in play, and the hammer price BECOMES the real and true value of a given item up for bid.

Frank
    Good info. Thanks.

Although, I had to read it thru a few times to get it...cause you were talking too fast.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

I've noticed that auctioneers for priceless items like Picasso artworks talk muuuuuch slooooower. Must be all the Grey Poupon in their diets.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bourque View Post
    I've noticed that auctioneers for priceless items like Picasso artworks talk muuuuuch slooooower. Must be all the Grey Poupon in their diets.
    It could just be that the potential buyers at those types of auctions have lots & lots of money. They did not get all that money by making snap decisions, so the auctioneer has to go slower to give them time to think about it.