Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: "Woodsmith Shop" Drives Me Nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schmidt View Post
    +1 on Woodsmith show comments. What irritates me is the ONLY operation they show is using the dado set. Hands down, the best show around is The Wood Whisperer - especially the Guild. It's the only show where I have actually learned new techniques - all others are too rushed/abbreviated and superficial. $99 spent on an AppleTV got this on my TV, and was the BEST investment I ever made.
    I agree. TWW has severely upped my game. He's quite accessible too. I email him personally quite a bit for advice. He responds quick and is ready and willing to assist.

I just signed up for the Dogon Platform bed a la cart membership. Wow!!! Great stuff!!!
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

I watch it from time to time just to see what color Don's hair is that week.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Tommy Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    I think Tommy is getting better. He seemed more at home, or maybe just less nervous this past season than he did the first. Remember, Norm was on TOH for years before he started the NYW. He was comfortable being on TV while doing and explaining things. Plus, I seems as though Norm's personality is just naturally more laid back than Tommy's is.
    I agree. Tommy's show has got a lot better. I got to meet Tommy Mac not that long ago and we talked forever. It was a very cool day for me, we talked about everything we could think of (tools and processes) that had to do with woodworking. He is very knowledgeable when it comes to his craft, and I love his old stuff thats out on the internet before PBS picked him up and Rough Cuts was started. His old stuff is a lot like Marc's stuff on the WW website except Tommy had to "bleep" words out because he would let a foul word slip every now and then, made me laugh. Its really worth the time to go through the videos he has on the webpage.

Yes, NY Workshop was the BEST!!!!! But ALL these current shows have some merit depending on the topic covered..Many woodsmith shows are very basic and some Tommy Mac's are very good (e.g., Cabriolet legs)..We are spoiled by Norm but at least we have something to help us through withdrawl....
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Rice View Post
    I got to meet Tommy Mac not that long ago and we talked forever. It was a very cool day for me, we talked about everything we could think of (tools and processes) that had to do with woodworking.
    I know what you mean. I met him at WIA 2 years ago. He was at the Woodcraft booth, and we chatted for quite a while. He found a couple of special items and autographed them for me to take back for my nephews. Then we bumped into each other back at the hotel and sat down for a couple of drinks. You're right, he is a very cool guy to talk to. He doesn't have all of his nervous mannerisms. And he really knows his stuff! I just hope that he works at making his show a little easier going, and more detail oriented. I could do without the roadtrip in every episode. Sometimes it is needed for the episode, and in those instances it is quite entertaining. But, a lot of the time, he could just go straight into the woodworking. I know it is more time consuming, but I'd like it if he could show a little more of the hand tool work. I do like that he will go through special setups on the table saw and bandsaw, and he does a pretty good job showing layout. Everything just seems rushed. Hey Norm did it in the same amount of time without the rushed feeling, so they know it can be done.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

It is sad to say, but I am sure Tommy's show is hurried on purpose. Most TV shows these days are quicker paced, and aimed at the short attention spans that are common in their prize demographic. Sadly it is a different generation than Norm spoke to, as far as the producers are concerned. Watching some older TV shows or movies, it is apparent they could spend more time building up to a conclusion. Now, those movies seem really slow to youngsters. Try to get a 20 something to watch Casablanca, some will like it, many won't.

Case in point....My 12 year old grandson came over and I suggested we watch a movie together. He was all for it, and likes scary movies. I happened to have Psycho on the DVR, and we watched it. Me made it a half hour before he said it was boring and we quit. He expected to see more hacking and slashing, rather than suspense buildup.

Not to pick on movies, etc. It is prevalent in many facets of current life. How many people 'dine' in their cars to save time? Campbell soup comes in all kinds of new packaging to make it quicker to eat and run. In its beginnings it WAS fast food. I could go on, but how many will read this far anyway?

Sorry if this seems like a rant, it was supposed to be a possible explanation.

Rick Potter

Not sure I agree with the "younger generation is different" theory. I was always working with wood somehow, but didn't really get serious about it, until my forties. I don't think I'm the exception. Young people are just too occupied with other things to take the time to work wood. I think that's true for all generations.
    First I began watching TOH to help me with some home improvements...something I didn't have to worry about until I actually owned a house. TOH led to NYW and Norm. I watched the shows over and over again, until I finally had the room for a small shop. Once I was able to work wood, I was able to hit the ground running thanks to the details I learned, watching NYW. I can tell you that I would not have been able to do that had I been watching Woodsmith. People may develop an interest by watching Woodmith, but they're not going to learn how to.

The best thing I found on Woodsmith Shop in the last year was a 30 minute show they produced on jigs. I really liked the tapering jig they made along with the jig for the router table, other than that I will continue to DVR it and speed through it if its something that does not interest me. Example: last weekend they did series on routers, over 1/2 the program was taken from a series they did last season on routers.

I recall watching the wood smith shop once and thinking "I didn't know the three stooges did wood working...this guy, that guy, the other guy, Nuuk nuuk nuuk...too many chefs. " Rough cut still feels a bit too much like its name sake, gives me agita though I truly respect his craftsmanship. It's really hard I imagine to convey that message to a mixed national audience in a half hour format that relies in increasingly on corporate support. I keep hoping he will start speaking more slowly, maybe do a few two episode bits for complicated stuff. I do learn or at least rediscover a good technique each time I watch him, best thing going on TV IMO. I didn't cry when Norm retired, that was my dads show, and besides Norm earned his retirement for sure. But when they took DJ Marks off the air I nearly had a panic attack. Maybe it's my own personal approach to things, I don't want a spoon fed dumbed down hey even you wood butchers can do this approach to wood working education. I'm not into building Adirondack chairs and pine pie safes in my spare time, I loved the technical prowess and inspiration that wood works represented. And Mr Marks is a great teacher. I may never even approach that level of mastery, but I'll always keep following his light. So when I saw FWW selling the DJ Marks complete series in my inbox last week I let out a little hurray....until I saw the cost per season...then the panic attacks started all over again. If I pay that much for the videos I won't have enough money left for wood!

Not sure I agree that NYW should get such high praise. While he aired the woodworking community blasted him at nausea for his specialty tools, use of the brad nailer, and lack of detail in his shows. Question is, are you looking to learn or be entertained or just stimulated with the sound of the tools.
    TWW and to a lesser extent Woodworks are the only true educational shows for any but the most amateur woodworkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schmidt View Post
    Not sure I agree that NYW should get such high praise. While he aired the woodworking community blasted him at nausea for his specialty tools, use of the brad nailer, and lack of detail in his shows. Question is, are you looking to learn or be entertained or just stimulated with the sound of the tools.
    TWW and to a lesser extent Woodworks are the only true educational shows for any but the most amateur woodworkers.
    Dan, sounds like you're a much more advanced WW than I. NYW taught me what I needed to know to get me started and I still learn from Norm when I rewatch some of his shows. Woodworks was always a, "Gee...maybe I'll be there someday..." but for now, I'm still at the Norm level. Guess we're all at different levels of experience, equipment and aspirations.

I really liked D Marks too. I like seeing how the masters/pros work and their shop setups. The Woodsmith show is so staged and it seems like a continuous advertisement for tools and gadgets. Show me equipment that's used and still doing the job. That is a better advertisement in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Cambell View Post
    Derek, you have to remember that they only have 1/2 hour to complete the project. If they only have time to "hit the high spots". Any more would bore most people.
    That's crap. There's no reason they can't have extended more detailed clips online. This thread is 10 years old and they're still doing the same crap.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-31-2023 at 8:10 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

I know this is an old thread, and frankly it really shouldn't matter, but I still watch the show and it drives me nuts when Chris Fitch points his finger at me. I feel like I am back in school and did something wrong.

Ever notice, no matter what the milling operation, there isn't a single drop of saw dust lying around? No dust collections hose visible, must have "flux capacitor" dust collection system. After many years, they are getting better about looking at the camera that is recording at that time. Still enjoy the program. On the Saturdays that I can catch them, it's either a show I have already seen, or local PBS has the beg on. NYW shows are now on YouTube, with collection growing weekly.