Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: "Woodsmith Shop" Drives Me Nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Murray View Post
    I cannot stand how one of the guys always punctuates what he's saying with a small laugh. Whats so funny?
    I find the forced chuckle pretty annoying, but I guess the guy's trying to make it seems fun and doing the best he can. We don't have regular TV, so I never get to see Woodsmith Shop unless I'm at my parents' house but the few episodes I saw didn't really resonate like good ol' Norm. Some of their tips are pretty handy though. I love Shop Notes, though I haven't seen a new issue in year. I have a lot of back issues from the library discards where I used to work.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

My grips with woodsmith shop is petty at best, I cannot stand how one of the guys always punctuates what he's saying with a small laugh. Whats so funny?
    +1 on that nervous chuckle. No hit against the guys that do the show. They're just doing what they're told to do. Part of what bugs me is they're paying big $ for the production and everything on the set is staged to be so perfect. There's no dust on the tables, each piece of wood looks to be premachined perfectly and placed on the table. It's so rehearsed, that sometimes the talent reaches for a part without even looking at it. I guess I like to see sawdust, a little tear out and maybe an occasional "oops". I also don't like the "set" like, shop of the show. I want to see wood worked in a real shop, not on a set.
    The show is def over produced and over written. Part of why I like Norm, Spagnulo and Marcel is that I feel like they're talking to me, rather than reading a script...that's good TV.

Like you I watch but it's a tad to disjointed. I watch Tommy as well, not the best but better than nothing. I really miss Norm & David Marks. I loved that show!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    OK...who is Tommy Mac and does Rough Cut play in California? I just did a search on sat and couldn't find a listing.
    Tommy MacDonald - has a PBS show called Rough Cut with Tommy Mac. It was touted as the new Norm show when it first started but, IMHO, it just hasn't measured up. The Houston area PBS has had it on at different times but not consistently so my viewing has been limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    YMMV, but I think Woodsmith Shop does okay... as others have said, they're putting together a weekend project in 30 minutes. I keep several shows rolling over on the DVR now, something to watch when I'm bored. If old ones get deleted with new ones (something that happens often), I'm okay with that.

I tried watching Tommy Mac... and tried again... and just couldn't do it. After a couple of months went by I finally just deleted it from the DVR. Something about his style that just irritates me (and I spent several years in Boston, so I'm used to the "wicked smaaaat" boys accent).
    +1 on Tommy Mac. The guy is amped for sure.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

What annoys me the most about Woodsmith is the way they try to explain what they're doing to each other instead of to the audience. I agree with Derek; one guy one project, and just talk to US about the project while you're actually working on it. If they didn't waste all that time in their group huddles they would have more time to show how to do the setups and how to do the joinery.

But...

They don't annoy me nearly as much as Scott Philips in American Woodshop. First of all, it's more of a Kreg infomercial than a TV show. Second, I cringe every time he grabs that Super glue. And third, how the heck did he ever get a woodworking show? My wife laughs at me every time I put his show on, because all I do is yell at him because of the way he's doing something.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

My grips with woodsmith shop is petty at best, I cannot stand how one of the guys always punctuates what he's saying with a small laugh. Whats so funny?

I thought I was just being too hard on the guy, but I cannot stand to hear him talk with all the nervous laughter mixed in while he is talking. The young guy on This Old House does the same thing, but not as bad.
    Last edited by Joe Cowan; 10-15-2013 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cowan View Post
    ... The guy on young guy on This Old House does the same thing, but not as bad.
    The wife calls him "little Timmy", and jokes about being in danger again without a collie to rescue him.
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    They don't annoy me nearly as much as Scott Philips in American Woodshop. First of all, it's more of a Kreg infomercial than a TV show. Second, I cringe every time he grabs that Super glue. And third, how the heck did he ever get a woodworking show? My wife laughs at me every time I put his show on, because all I do is yell at him because of the way he's doing something.
    Oh my....

I don't have enough words to describe my hatred for American Woodshop. Every episode the last few years has been about him re-modelling his house/shop. Water-witching...on a woodworking show...

The two things that tick me off the most are his inability/desire to properly mill his lumber and.....his wife. God I hate that show.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-16-2013 at 8:19 AM.

I just watched an episode this weekend on the local PBS Create station where he was creating a blanket chest with nice carved panels, but I couldn't get past "Ok Al, Al ok. Ok, ok ok Al. Al. Al ok." Felt like a bad cross between the Goodfellas and Home Improvement.

The Woodsmith Shop was OK, but I agree that it was a little disjointed between all the different hosts, and there was too much talking.
    ~Garth

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kerley View Post
    Oh my....

I don't have enough words to describe my hatred for American Woodshop. Every episode the last few years has been about him re-modelling his house/shop. Water-witching...on a woodworking show...

The two things that tick me off the most are his inability/desire to properly mill his lumber and.....his wife. God I hate that show.
    I know... Pretty slick way to get your home remodel paid for, right? Oh, and he's even getting solar panels and a geo-thermal unit by plugging them on his show, even though they don't have one darn thing to do with woodworking!

But I just can't get over what a horrible woodworker he is. Like I said, how the heck did HE get a woodworking show?
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-16-2013 at 8:20 AM.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Don't get American Woodshop either. Man...I don't anything on Direct!

The local PBS station has them lined up on Saturday afternoon, (that is, unless they are fund raising, which they do about one third of the time), American Woodshop, Woodsmith Shop, and Tommy Mac. Hard to pick who is most annoying: Scott, Don, or Tommy. I know. I don't have to watch, but I think it's a moth/flame thing.
    Regards,
    Dick

Blog Entries
    The last time I watched Scott he teased the opening about the carved panel he was going to make for his cabinet. I'm no carver but was interested in seeing how it was done. Finally go to that part of the show and he pulled out a CNC machine. I haven't watched it since.

BTW, don't get me wrong about CNC machines. If that's your thing, I'm OK with it. Just don't tell me in your TV program you're going to show me how to make a carved panel and pull out the machine.

No one will ever measure up to the man in the flannel shirt.

I think it's because he worked his way up from a house carpenter to finish carpentry to cabinetry and it showed. People could identify with him. He just comes across as likable.

I always cringed though when he was reproducing an old piece and he would pull out his brad nailer...