Thread: DeWalt Scroll Saw top

DeWalt Scroll Saw top

Hi,
    I just got a DeWalt scroll saw and the top has bad grinding/standings lines from the factory. I put some 80 grit to it and then 150 grit to get some rust, stains and factory marks off. I cleaned it and put some Johnson wax on it to protect and smooth it up.
    It still has the bad factory marks on but is a little smother. Do I need to go further to get the top like my table saw top or just leave it alone? What have you guys done?
    Thanks...

If the wood slides OK while cutting It is OK. I have heard of some folks covering equipment tops with Formica also.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Blog Entries
    What's bad? Mine looks like this and works fine:

top grind.jpg

Sort of like a blanchard grind(?).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Like Glenn said, "What's bad?" The top of my BOSS spindle sander was as rough as a cob. I spent an hour or so with my old ROS and some kerosene to smooth it down. It was a VERY messy process!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

My Dewalt had a slight high spot where the blade penetrates the top, so I sanded that area flat (and consequently, smooth). Mine also has the circular grind pattern and I've never noticed any problems from it. I wax the top and the wood slides over it easily with no unexpected resistance.

Ok, I will leave it alone. Thanks for the input guys.

7. Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Mine looks like this and works fine:top grind.jpg
    I have the Delta version
    and the table top looks exactly like that - it's probably ground to the same specifications (isn't Delta and DeWalt the same company?) - and I have never had a problem with the top not being 'slick' enough. I assume(d) it was done/specified this way by someone more experienced than me to give you more control over moving the wood through the blade and although it may feel and look really rough, wood seems to move over it just fine... now, it doesn't 'float' over the surface like on the glass smooth tablesaw surface, but maybe with a scrollsaw that isn't want you want anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SC,

I did the same thing with mine (Using a ROS) that you did with yours. It works fine.

Bill