Thread: About to pull the trigger on a new Fuji Q4 system

About to pull the trigger on a new Fuji Q4 system

Is there any reason I don't want one? I think the noise reduction will be worth the added expense for me.

Any advice or thoughts before I order it? Preferred vendor?

I've got the Mini-Mite 4 and really like it. I already had an XPC gun and mine came with an XT I resold. The guy I bought it from bought a Q4 from another guy so he felt it was worth the upgrade for the gun and quiet feature.

Get a gravity or pressure feed cup, the siphon guns are pretty weak for more viscous materials.

The bottom cup XPC is a pressurized cup. I use the 3M PPS system with mine and highly recommend it. Switched from WB shellac to WB lacquer today and it just took a quick rinse of the gun. The liner I was using with shellac is capped and ready for the next round of stuff that needs to go into the finishing room.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 10-13-2013 at 11:44 PM.

The new T70 bottom feed gun appears to be pressure feed. Am I understanding it wrong? <- very possible

I already have SATA's RPS stuff. Wondering if I can use it with the Fuji gun..

What size 3M setup do you have? Did you get it from Phelps?

The T70 looks to be a refinement of the XPC guns and I do see a pressure port. They pressurize their gravity guns too IIRC. I have the bottom cup with the 28oz cups. I found a kit 1/2 off on the clearance shelf at a Rockler to get started but Phelps appears to have a respectable price.

Depending on the product, if you are using a WB finish you can rinse the liners and caps and reuse them a number of times. I use it more for the changeover and spray-at-any-angle convenience. I frequently flip the gun upside down to spray edges where my spray table would get in the way of the cup and handle. Did the same yesterday to spray the inside of a cabinet that was too small to reach in the front but I could easily go in through the top.

8. The 3M PPS system is the only one I found that works with pressurized guns. I bought the 8oz system, but may eventually get the 28oz cups too. From what I understood from talking to Phelps when I ordered, the Dekups and RPS systems won't work with the Fuji pressurized guns.

9. Also - I got the MM4 from Phelps and he was very helpful. Since the Fuji stuff is price locked everywhere, unless you get it used, it's the same price everywhere. I got it from Phelps because he was very helpful and included some nice freebies. I also liked his package deals where I was able to get a whip hose, a #2 and #3 aircap, all in the same package. He dropships the units themselves direct from Fuji and the PPS stuff comes from him (he's in TX IIRC).

I ended up with the gravity fed gun, although I only plan to use the PPS system with it. Figured it'd be nice to have the gravity feed if I ever decide to bail the PPS system. Plus it seemed easier to get into spaces with the can up top instead of below the gun - especially helpful for not hitting things with the can at the bottom. He told me it didn't really matter on which system to get - it was personal preference especially with a pressurized gun. I thought the gravity version would be easier to clean as well - utilizing gravity with the system off.

I personally didn't feel the extra few hundred bucks were worth the quieter feature. The videos I heard online all seemed like both units were already pretty loud. Worst case, I could probably whip up a box for the turbine to fit in that would muffle the noise for far less $.
    Last edited by Mark Stubblefield; 10-15-2013 at 2:21 PM.

+1 to Phelps and the Fuji.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I'm sold on buying it from Phelps. Thinking I'll get the PPS setup, #3 and #4 tips, gravity feed gun.. Still not sure on MM4 vs Q4.