Thread: cutting black marble

cutting black marble

I cut some black marble for the first time yesterday. Have been cutting granite and slate, but actually first time for marble since I recently got a shipment in. I am wondering if there are any secrets to prevent chipping. I am using a wet saw and got some chipping that went beyond the edge bevel I plan to put on the tile? Does tape help at all? thanks Lynn

Hey Lynn,
    I find I get alot of chipping when either the blade is dull or Im trying to cut to fast. If your blade is dull try cutting at a slower speed untill you can replace it.
    I've cut alot of marble over the last year and have had to replace the blade only once. If you use a good blade (Example: Mk Diamond hotdog 66) and cut at a slower speed you can get alot more cutting from your blade.
    Mike

Hi, whtat type of saw are you folks cutting with? I looked at the blades and they say Wet or Dry. Can you really cut Dry?

Thanks,

Bob

Hey Bob,
    yes you can cut dry but it will be a dusty mess and then there are the health risks. The wet saws are ideal for cutting marble/granite/tile, they extend the life of the blade and eliminate the dust. Some may complain about the water kicking up from the blade and getting everywhere, i've fabricated a splash shield that catches the water and returns it to the pan. Most tile saw manufacturers sell a simular shield but cost a little more than I would like to pay.
    Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for the feedback. I do have a wet saw, and the splashing is no too bad, I just get kind of a racing stripe up the front of my body.

I just didn't think you could cut dry. I do not want that dusty mess. Thanks for the heads up. I will pass on dry cutting.

Bob

Lynn,

We cut so much tile these days I purchased a professional tile saw with an 8" blade. Gone are the racing stripes and rough edges. A 2HP motor means fast and very smooth cuts without any strain on the motor. A solid aluminum table provides lots of support for large tiles and it does not flex. If you just cut tile occasionally it might not be the best bang for the buck, if you cut tile every day a pro saw is a must.

Cutting Black Marble

You might also look into a lapidary saw (stone cutter). They spin slower and use oil as a coolant. Great for cutting stone and leaving a super finished edge. Can be a bit expensive over a tile saw though. Just another option.

There are specialty marble no chip blades on the market. Are you using a marble blade? The MK200 is recommended for marble, travertine, and soft stone. The MK Hotdog is recommended for granite, hard marble, and hard ceramic tile.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra