Thread: A couple from this past week.

A couple from this past week.

I haven't had as much time in the shop as I'd like, but with the temps finally getting bearable, I managed to get a couple sessions in.

The 1st is a little hf I turned earlier this week. Was just looking for a quick turning fix, so I grabbed the 1st little chunk of wood I came across in the wood pile.
    It's African Sumac and the blank looked pretty good before I started, but as I started roughing out the form I discovered lots of little cracks and a nail. Each of the dark streaks has a crack running though it. I've seen that before in sumac, but always wonder which came 1st, the cracks or the streaks. I was able to pull what was left of the nail out, it left the hole that's in about the center of the 1st shot and found a little bit of curl on the other side..
    It's 3 1/2" x 4" and just has a single coat of antique oil so far.
    PICT0004-001.JPGPICT0005-001.JPG
    I turned this one this afternoon. This is from a Madrone bowl blank I've had for awhile. The blank had warped into the shape of a potato chip, so maybe it's done most of it's movement already. This one was a challenge to get hollowed all the way to the widest point as it's only 2 1/2" tall and 7 1/2" wide.
    Just 1 coat of antique oil so far.

PICT0008-002.JPGPICT0010-002.JPGPICT0011-002.JPG

Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

The form on both of these is fantastic.

I like the second one the best. It would be a very difficult one to make.
    C&C WELCOME

Kathy, I really like the sumac. The cracks add character to the wonderful shape/form that you did. The second one must have been a real challenge getting out to the far reaches of the form. Keep up the great work.
    Steve

I love your work, Kathy!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

very nice, like the sumac

Thanks everyone!

I think I like the 2nd one best, but it may be just because it's not my usual form.
    The 1st one will turn a nice red color if I set it in the sun for a couple of days.
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Excellent and inspiring as usual Kathy. Do you free hand hollow or do you have a capture system?

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McClurg View Post
    Excellent and inspiring as usual Kathy. Do you free hand hollow or do you have a capture system?

Greg
    Thanks Greg!
    I have a Jamieson captured system.