Thread: getting a unisaw on to a mobile base

getting a unisaw on to a mobile base

I don't have 3 0r 4 guys to help lift it, I found this thread ; 2 quotes from it.....................
    Quote Originally Posted by James Suzda View Post
    When I had to lift my Grizzly saw by myself and not having an engine lift, I placed two 2x4's on edge under the table but tight to the cabinet. I put some pipe clamps across these 2x4's so they wouldn't twist out from under the saw.
    Then I built sort of a 'cribbing' with a pair of sawhorses under the ends of the 2x4's and used two floor jacks to pick the whole thing up. It would be nice to have someone extra there to help balance the whole thing while you slipped the base under it.
    Now you will have to build some extensions or put wheels under that nice outfeed table!
    Will the 2 X 4's go under the table only, or can they span under the fence rails?
    I was thinking of spanning under the fence rails, but don't want to bend the rails either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Falkenstein View Post
    Tilting as mentioned by Scott is one way without any lifts. Tilt the saw and slide two long 2X4's under the saw. Tilt again and add blocks at each end of the 2X4's raising the saw so the bottom of the wood is slightly above the top of the mobile base. Slide the base under the saw. Tilt and remove the blocks lowering the saw onto the mobile base frame. Now the saw is sitting on the base with the 2X4's in the way. Tilt and remove the 2X4's one at a time, lowering the saw into the base.
    ps - I have a Jet cabinet saw with a 52" fence, and I used the tilt method described above to place it on a mobile base by HTC years after the saw was fully assembled.
    This sounds good, but I can't quite envision it.

Any other Ideas, I don't have a beam above to hoist it from.

I use the tilt method, but I do not use 2 x 4s. I set the mobile base next to the machine on the side I can raise the highest & can get the best grip. For a table saw with a wide rip fence & I do not have help, I fasten the mobile base to the floor & place a long piece of wood against that I can step on so the mobile base does not tilt up or move when the machine is slid over it. For a machine like a shaper, I just use my foot to hold the mobile base in place.

I raise the side of the machine, that is against the mobile base, enough to clear the mobile base & then slide the machine over the mobile base. When the machine is over the mobile base enough to catch the support plates on the opposite side, I let the machine down onto those so I can take the weight off of the back side. When the machine is completely over the mobile base, I let the backside down.

A few minutes ago I put a Powermatic 66 on a mobile base, by myself, using the process above.

I used a similar method to Chris Rosenberger's when I put my Unisaw on it's mobile base, but my base has the outrigger for the 50" side table. I put the saw on the base first and then assembled the extension table and legs on the mobile base. The whole process went well, except for a few scratches in the top of the mobile base. Had I covered it with cardboard before tilting the Unisaw onto it there would likely have been no scratches. My helper son is never around when I need him, so I've figured out how to do almost everything myself.

Charley

Got a nail puller? Stick it under, and lever an edge up. Stick a wedge under there. Repeat till you can get a length of 2x4 under there. The go to the other side and put another piece of 2x4 by one corner and lift the saw up by the table and kick the wood under the corner. Then kick the other end of the 2nd 2x4 under the 4th corner. Move your mobile base up next to it and push the saw onto it. The saw will drop of course when the balance shifts but it is a tough machine and won't be harmed.

I've got a handy dandy 15 dollar harbor freight come along that I leave hanging from the garage roof. (4x4 across 4 trusses from which the come a long hangs). Super easy to lift things up and put them on bases.

OOPS- didn't read the part about there being no beam above.
    Last edited by Stephen Cherry; 10-15-2013 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    I've got a handy dandy 15 dollar harbor freight come along that I leave hanging from the garage roof. (4x4 across 4 trusses from which the come a long hangs). Super easy to lift things up and put them on bases.
    OOPS- didn't read the part about there being no beam above.
    Yes, would make it a lot easier if I did have a beam above.
    I don't really have extra room to store a engine crane.
    I will have to review this and see what I can do.
    Thank You,

just tilt the saw push base underneath then finish pushing on the base. leverage is your friend. do not need anything complicated to do this.

Just try rocking the saw by hand. I'm sure you will find it easy to tip it by yourself, although picking it up would be a different matter. You can tip it quite far before it it passes the center of gravity. Just do it slowly so that it doesn't get away from you. Now that you know how far you can tip it safely, put the base next to it and tip it again, pushing the base under it with your foot. Then work it back and forth to increase the amount of it that is on the base. With a final shove it should drop into the base in correct alignment. There, that was easy, and you didn't need a hoist or 4 strong men to do it either.

Charley

This is what I used.

Yes, but I did get help to do it. One guy tilted the saw, and another pusted the base under. Then we sort of walked it forward the rest of the way on to the base.
    It did go on pretty easy.
    Thanks for the help.