Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where do you do your finishing?

I do it in the shop but need to clean up and cover everything before putting down the final topcoats to avoid dust and other particles. As far as surface, I use my old front-entrance door. It is a steel one and I mounted a really beefy lazy-susan bearing on it and put a piece of plywood on that. It provides a flat surface but allows me to rotate the work while spraying if I need to. I would really love to have a dedicated finishing area but it is just not in the cards for me.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Where did you get your lazy Susan? I'm trying to avoid spending $185 for the one at rockler. There's one on amazon with a 1000lb capacity for $17. It's 12" in diameter and says it can hold objects up to 30" across. Would that suffice? I'd obviously have to use a couple pieces of plywood to make base and top for it.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Michael, Just buy a lazy susan bearing and build your own. They're very inexpensive, use a plywood top and base - I have one on a pipe pedestal that's convenient for doors and drawer fronts too.

Some projects get done on sawhorses, some on the bench that's covered with brown paper, some are spread all over the shop if it's something large.

My suggestion for you would be to have dual accommodations...use things that you can leverage for supporting both assembly and for finishing. Rectangular boxes can provide 3 different heights, for example, and satisfy both needs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Outside, and inside.

I've got a 17 by 8 room that's still under construction, it works for the small stuff.
    I'll get one bigger than Leo's one day, once my work catches up to his quality lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.

When the weather is warm enough, I set up my pop-up canopy in the driveway. I have three side walls and put a large drop cloth down, under the tent legs. Set up a couple of large box fans exhausting at the open side. All of my shop cabinets are on casters (multi-use as work tables, in/outfeed tables for my TS, etc) I cover them with plastic and use them as spray tables. It allows me to roll one piece/component in and out (after it's tack free), then on to the next piece. Just sprayed six tables and four radiator covers this past week in a couple of days.
    When the weather turns, I set up a temp booth out of 1" 4x8 sheets of rigid foam insulation in the shop. the center panel has a framed cutout for a cheap 24x24 fiberglass filter. Behind the cutout I put a box fan that exhausts out the window behind.
    It's a PITA, but it works. Wish I had the space for a dedicated spray booth. If you do, you'll be better off. Improves workflow, as opposed to breaking down your shop, cleaning up and covering everything before you spray.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    17,000 CFM 3HP 3PH 36" fan. It's behind the box above the blue filters.
    Do you live in a temperate climate, have a huge furnace or be able to draw warm air from a giant room? I'm just thinking..

It takes a little over 1,000 BTU/hr to heat 1,000 CFM of air by 1 degree F.

You have 17,000 cfm of exhaust.

Thus it would take 170,000BTU/hr just to heat the air 10*F.

You probably aren't spraying all day, every day though, eh?

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    400 sq ft spray room.

Hey Leo.

I can't imagine having that much space. So, consider this just a friendly YOU SUCK post.

Have a nice day...
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dunn View Post
    Where did you get your lazy Susan? I'm trying to avoid spending $185 for the one at rockler. There's one on amazon with a 1000lb capacity for $17. It's 12" in diameter and says it can hold objects up to 30" across. Would that suffice? I'd obviously have to use a couple pieces of plywood to make base and top for it.
    That sounds like the one I have, and it works great. I mounted a 24" square piece of 3/4" ply above & below. For a larger project I can just screw on a larger piece on top of the existing. I usually elevate it on an old Sears tool stand. I have holes drilled through the wooden top of the stand so I can screw up into the base and it makes everything really solid.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I found this company some time ago when I was making table top displays. They have some 12" turntables that are....well cheap.

http://www.craftics.net/ShowItems.as...entCategory=93

Service is pretty good and the products are OK when you consider the cost. Shipping tends to be high though.

Like others I use an old card table with a large piece of cardboard on top of it. I change out the cardboard when it starts getting much build up on it. During the summer I spray outside in the morning or evening, though mornings are better as not many bugs.