Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic 3520B or Nova DVR XP?

Powermatic 3520B or Nova DVR XP?

I've had my sights set on a 3520B for a while now but am tempted by Woodcraft's current sale on the DVR XP for $1850. So now the age old question, which one? I'm not going to argue the merits of the Powermatic, it's a rock solid machine, that's a given. But the DVR has it's merits too. And with the sale, I could get the legs, an extension and outboard tool rest for under $3k. I guess I'm asking any DVR XP owners out there.....do you have any regrets?

2. Hands down..........if I had the $$$$ then I would go with the 3520b. It is just more lathe, period! The sliding headstock makes for a customizable configuration for many scenarios when it comes to a variety of projects. There are many fans of the DVR.........my comments are not to detract from that lathe, but it is not the lathe a 3520b is.........one turner's opinion here!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Hi Roger, and thanks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the DVR's headstock slide too and, in fact, pivots 45 degrees so you can turn larger bowl stock? I imagine the large noticeable differences are the sheer heft on the 3520b giving it the ability to turn larger bowls smoother and safer. Also, the speed adjustment is a knob on the 3520b and on the DVR it's an up and down arrow. I like having a knob better. But still, the Scotsman in me likes to save a grand when I can. I'd like to hear from some DVR owners!
    Last edited by Jim Kirkpatrick; 10-15-2013 at 3:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kirkpatrick View Post
    I've had my sights set on a 3520B for a while nodetour on the road to the 3520 am tempted by Woodcraft's current sale on the DVR XP for $1850. So now the age old question, which one? I'm not going to argue the merits of the Powermatic, it's a rock solid machine, that's a given. But the DVR has it's merits too. And with the sale, I could get the legs, an extension and outboard tool rest for under $3k. I guess I'm asking any DVR XP owners out there.....do you have any regrets?
    My guess is that if you have had your sights set on the 3520, theDVR will be a detour on and a delay in the journey to a 3520.

I'm still relatively new to turning and have not worked on a lot of lathes but the thing that strikes me is that these are two different animals. Both are great machines but if price is not the main issue (maybe $1700+ if you get the NOVA cast iron legs ) and space isn't too tight I would probably go for the 3520b. For me space and cost were big deciders.

Personally I have the NOVA and I like it very much!
    The motor is smooth as silk.
    It has a small but expandable footprint.
    The head pivots (but does not slide). That is a HUGE plus in my small shop and I don't have to slide the head to avoid leaning over the bed.
    Eventually I'll get the outboard tool rest - it gets good reviews from what I've seen.
    The speed controller takes a little getting used to but it soon becomes second nature. 100 - 3500 rpm and no belts. Look at the NOVA site, this is a very cool motor!
    It has an optional remote control. Mine is attached near the end of the ways so I can kill the motor without reaching across the "line of fire."

Lots of other stuff but you get the idea - different machines, different features.

Richard
    RD

I had a Nova DVR XP and sold it when we moved. The reason was the digital speed control, specifically CHANGING SPEEDS; it takes too long for me. Grant it, repeatability and precision were big positives, but they did not override the time (and attention diversion) it took to change speeds. There are presets you can program in, but only a few, and adding 200 rpm's for example takes time and attention away from your main objective. Additionally, unless you know exactly the speed you want, it takes a while to dial it in to a speed that "feels just right". A minor point, but it was significant to me. So, if that isn't an issue to you I think you will love the lathe...it IS a good one! btw, mine didn't have a sliding headstock; it only swiveled. Just my opinion...Good luck!!
    Will Turn for Coffee

As the owner of the non DVR version, Nova 1624.... and someone who IS currently saving for a big ole lathe, I would advise to go for the PowerMatic. Both the PM and the NovaDVR have similar functions but the shear mass of the PM beats the Nova. I love my "little" lathe but having more steel weight and greater swing would be AWESOME. I used to use the rotating headstock feature a lot but don't mess with it too much any more because of hte hassle of realigning the headstock and tailstock.

Don't get me wrong, the DVR and all Nova stuff are great products, but the DVR and the PM are not in the same catagory. The Jet 1642 would be closer to the Powermatic (and priced that way too!). There is a reason the Powermatic is priced $1000 more and believe it or not, it is reasonable compared to other larger lathes. If they were made in the USA the PM would cost another $1500!

I have heard many any times, to buy the most lathe you can afford. Saves for upgrading later!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

No comparison, get the Powermatic. As mentioned, if you don't know, you will in the future.

I have the DVR and agree with the previous comments. It is a great lathe. The motor is smooth, the head pivots 360 degrees, and when bolted to the concrete floor, it is rock solid. The disadvantages, in my opinion, are the lack of a dial for speed control, the headstock doesn't slide, and the clearance over the ways is "only" 16". I haven't used any other lathe other than a midi, so I can't compare it to another larger lathe. I plan on upgrading to something bigger and stronger in the future, but I am very content for now. It is a good lathe, and I don't regret that I bought the DVR when I did (approx 7-8 years ago)

I owned a 3520A for 8 years and have turned several times on a DVR for demonstrations. I much more prefer the PM. One reason it the pivoting headstock as opposed to the sliding headstock. If you use the pivoting headstock, you need an outboard turning tool rest set up. You only need that on the PM if you are sliding all the way down and turning some thing bigger than 20 inch diameter. Much easier to slide the headstock. As has been said by others, the variable speed knob is so much more convenient than the slow ramp up/ramp down speed change on the DVR. Add to that the heft of the PM, and it is a much better machine. The DVR does have a lot of torque, which I would not expect from a motor that is smaller in size.

robo hippy

No regrets on the NOVA. I have a "cheesy" lathe if I really need to turn something longer like a table leg. That brings up a really important point IMHO.

I find that I really need to make a reasoned assessment of my wants and needs in tool purchasing. I want the biggest, baddest, strongest, longest available! Do I need it? Will I ever use that full capacity? If I very occasionally need something beyond what I own, do I need to buy it, rent it or borrow it? Only you can answer these questions.

I can justify a pickup truck but not a flatbed. I need a good lawn mower but a commercial grade brush hog is over kill. The idea of buying the best you can afford and buying for the future is reasonable, within reason.

It may be true that cheap tools make you cry every time you use them, but the NOVA really is a very good lathe and it will accommodate my needs for the conceivable future.
    RD

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    I've been in the same dilemna, and was pretty close to settling on the PM. I've been having very good experiences with Laguna of late and believe their customer service issues of old have been seriously resolved. (I've even been directly contacted by their CS manager for opinions on their current service and they are clearly motivated to insure customer satisfaction)

As a result, my decision has been to take a shot at their new 24-36 REVO lathe. I like the idea of the DC motor that won't bog down under load at low speeds, and looks like it has some new, unique features that set it apart from the PM and Nova. The other final consideration was the recent sale of Powermatic/Jet to a company who's long term support and continued customer service is unknown.

It's a shot in the dark for the Laguna, but I'm sure happy with my new Laguna Italian LT20 Bandsaw, and a Laguna 14X14 SUV bandsaw, so we'll see. My new lathe is being delivered the first week of December when I get back to the USA!

Good luck with your decision. Cheers
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

It seems to me you ask us to not do what it is that you're asking us to do. But I guess I can oblige you anyway, because there is NO comparison between the DVR XP and the 3520B. I mean NO slight to the DVR XP although I'm sure some DVR owners will take it that way anyway. But we're talking about completely different classes of machines.
    If you really want to decide whether to buy the DVR or not, then I feel you should be comparing it to something more along the lines of the Jet 1642. Now we can argue the details within a similar operating capacity and price range. (and the equation actually inverts then, too: is the DVR XP with accessories at around $3k worth the premium over the 1.5HP Jet 1642 at $2.4k all up.?)

14. Quote Originally Posted by Frank Trinkle View Post

As a result, my decision has been to take a shot at their new 24-36 REVO lathe. I like the idea of the DC motor that won't bog down under load at low speeds, ..............
    I have a DC 2 hp motor on my lathe........the revo from laguna is similar to the older version of the 18/47 lathe........which I have the Grizzly version of................I don't know who tried to tell you you won't bog it down on low speeds, but take that with a serious grain of salt and two aspirin!

Perhaps some salesman? I have a couple of friends who have 3 hp Oneway 24/36's and can bog them down and I have also bogged down a 3 hp Robust American Beauty once.....with a gouge and not with a coring rig........my 2 hp 18/47 can be bogged down with a heavy and aggressive cut........you have to work to the machine's capabilities...........

I am not saying the Revo 24/36 is not a good lathe........frankly, I would love to hear an owner give an honest review............sometimes sales pitches are just that............meant to sell you on something. Good luck with whatever you decide........your choice might be a very good one...........my 18/47 lathe has been a stellar performer of nearly 4 years without a single issue, so it might be a good way to go!

I hope you will do an honest review when you have used it for a couple of months..........it would be great to have an honest review on record.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 10-15-2013 at 3:28 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    I will certainly review the lathe when I get it. There has been a serious lack of reviews on the lathe...primarily because it is brand new, so I am taking a bit of a risk on an untested, unreviewed new machine.

I've ordered it with the swing-away tail and a 20" extension that has four various mounting positions. Should be some fun playing with it and hope that it all works out for my needs (which are currently serious novice level for turning!)

First test will be slow speed torque. That will be an instant "tell".
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten