Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know what this is?

Does anyone know what this is?

I came across this object while digging a hole for a new tree. I was about 20-inches below ground when the shovel made contact. Does it look familiar to anyone? It is so encrusted with rust and dirt that any lettering that may be on it is obscured. I thought it had concrete spilled on it but it turned out to be caked-on dirt that has calcified on the surfaces and between the chain links.

I'm thinking it's a piece of construction debris left over from the building of my house in 1968 but I've never seen anything like this from a construction site. I found it about thirty feet from the foundation of my house. I'm going to try and wire brush the flat pieces and see if I can find any printing on it. I think the metal is so heavily pitted with rust that it may not be possible to reveal any clues as to what this might be.

Any guesses?

Attached Images Attached Images

Can I guess twice?

1. Part of a tire chain (from the shape of the links).

2. Part of a hold down to keep equipment on a trailer.

Nice clear pics.

Rick Potter

Blog Entries
    I vote part of a tire chain assembly. Does it snow a lot where you live?
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

It looks to me like the ends are meant to connect together after wrapping around a pipe.

I should have mentioned where I live which is southern Michigan. Yes, we do get cold winters and snow.

Steve,
    This occurred to me as well. The problem is when you put the two ends of the piece together it leaves very little room for a pipe or anything else. I thought it might be used as some sort of lifting device.

You could link 2 or more of these together, maybe as a sling under something for lifting as you suggest.

Rick and Larry-
    I think tire chains are illegal in Michigan. I've never seen anyone using them here and I've never seen any for sale at local auto parts suppliers.

The equipment hold down seems more likely. I hadn't thought of that.

Rick — Thanks for the photo complement

Blog Entries
    Man, your curiosity is much greater than mine. If I had run across that while digging a hole, I would have cussed at it for causing me grief just before a tossing it in the trash bin.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Paul, tire chains might be illegal now but what about 50 or 75 years ago when the thing might have been buried? Maybe they weren't used on the road but on a tractor.

And look what I found with a quick Google Image Search: Vintage Tire Chains and more.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 10-15-2013 at 5:20 PM.

Dave -
    That looks like an nearly identical match. I have never seen tire chains before. My house was built 45 years ago so they may have been legal in Michigan then. I don't know. Since I didn't know what tire chains looked like it never entered my mind that these might be tire chains.

I'll consider the matter closed. If I find out anything new I'll post back.

Thanks to all!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Paul, tire chains might be illegal now but what about 50 or 75 years ago when the thing might have been buried? Maybe they weren't used on the road but on a tractor.

And look what I found with a quick Google Image Search: Vintage Tire Chains and more.
    I concur that it is an old tire chain. My grandfather used to have a set in his garage.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Wait.....

Did I win something?

Rick P

Paul, I think you should send Rick the tire chain as his prize! ; )

I lived in Michigan 55 years ago and tire chains were legal. In fact, I can't think of anyplace where they weren't.
    Best Regards,

Gordon