Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Got my first motorcycle today(added a picture)

Got my first motorcycle today(added a picture)

Bought my first bike today. A 1988 Yamaha route 66 250. Its got 15k miles on it, and is in pretty good shape. Atleast I thought until I couldn't get it outta first and into neutral. But other than that it runs good. Anyone have one of these bikes that had that problem? Is it an easy fix? Im gonna take it to the local bike shop, but was curious if it might be something I could do
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by curtis rosche; 10-15-2013 at 9:54 PM.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

I used to have an older Honda that was tricky to find neutral. Clicking up from 1st was kinda hard and would often slide right into second. It was easier to gently drop into neutral from 2nd gear. I think the clutch needed adjustment but I lived with it

I've had several bikes over the years that have been hard to find neutral when lifting out of first. My work bike sometimes requires feathering the clutch just a smidge while lifting the shifter to pop into neutral.

Curtis,

I would suggest that it's important to remember to make yourself noticeable to other drivers by riding with your headlight on and using turn signals.

Wear a brain bucket!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

In addition to what Ken said - grow eyes in the back of and on the sides of your head & assume every other driver on the road is out to kill you....

Oh yeah,,,find a nice long road with a lot of gentle curves.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    In addition to what Ken said - grow eyes in the back of and on the sides of your head & assume every other driver on the road is out to kill you....

Oh yeah,,,find a nice long road with a lot of gentle curves.
    I got a new helmet, and a bright colored riding jacket with the protective gaurds is in the works. Ans theres planty of long windy roads around here, just gotta watch out for horse droppings
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

A 250 is a great size to start on. I suggest you find a good forum and do a lot of reading. Also, one of the *safest* devices you should consider installing (IMO) is a headlight modulator. It oscillates the frequency of the headlight so people can see you coming

https://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Robson View Post
    I've had several bikes over the years that have been hard to find neutral when lifting out of first. My work bike sometimes requires feathering the clutch just a smidge while lifting the shifter to pop into neutral.
    I agree w/ all the comments on neutral. It was always easier for me to find neutral from 2nd as well.

All good advise so far. Find a MSF motorcycle class and take it. Local dealers should be able to give you info on local classes. I ride a Honda 750 and finding neutral is always iffy. You adjust and it gets easier. BTW, having your bike in neutral while riding is not recommended and one of the things you will learn in the MSF course. You always want to be in a proper gear so that you can move out of trouble if it occurs. Congratulations, riding a bike is fun and a different experience from driving or riding in a car but ALWAYS be aware of the possibility of cagers (car drivers) not seeing you. Motorcycle accidents involving cars always end with the car driver saying "I never saw him". There are lots of forums for motorcycles of all brands and makes with lots of good help available. Good Luck
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Sweet ride. I got my first bike when I was 12. It was a Honda Mini-Trail 50. At the time, it was the right size for me to learn on. This bike appears to be just the right size for you to learn on. 250 is a great size for cruising around town. My last bike before I got sick was a Honda Shadow, so I love cruisers. I like the color too. Riding a bike is all about watching what's going on around you. You have an unlimited field of vision. USE IT!

Oh, and ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET!! Ride defensive, ride sensible, and you'll ride safe.

As for your shifting problem, I will assume that a Yamaha is mechanically similar to my V-Twin Honda. That being the case, I'm guessing that your linkage simply needs adjusting. There is a detent for neutral in between 1st & 2nd that should be adjustable. Pick up a service manual:

http://www.servicerepairmanualonline...ute-66-manual/

Take a look through it. If it's something you feel comfortable doing, give it a try.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

If you’re a new rider—take a Basic Rider Course to help develop your riding skills and good habits. Successful completion in Kentucky qualifies you for a license skill test waiver and a possible insurance discount.

And run a loud muffler. Those car-driving zombies need to know they should be paying attention!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Hagan View Post

And run a loud muffler. Those car-driving zombies need to know they should be paying attention!
    Totally disagree with this statement, and I HAD obnoxiously loud pipes on one bike I had. all that does is pi$$ people off and makes all bikers look bad in their eyes. Don't override your skill level, and definitely take the Basic Rider Course whether you get any discounts or not.

Congratulations on your first purchase. Your new mantra should be ATGATT. (google it)

+1 to all the comments on taking classes. Check with your local bike shops and see what they have to offer. Many of the good shops will have resources and contacts on clubs and riding clinics. Another awesome resource is your local motorcycle road racing club. You can learn SO MUCH about proper riding skills and bike handling thru those guys. Don't let the road racing idea scare you off. You can learn many life-saving skills and meet some great new people while you're there.

+1 to Rick Moyer. Loud pipes do not save lives. Enough said on that topic.

Last, but not least. Make sure you "courtesy wave" the bikes you pass. It doesn't matter if they are HD's, cruisers or street bikes.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

At least have the fluids changed, before pursuing expensive repairs.

These things are built for novice riders, it will take some abuse.
    If you're a newbie, take a defensive driving course.

You're invisible, until after the accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Totally disagree with this statement, and I HAD obnoxiously loud pipes on one bike I had. all that does is pi$$ people off and makes all bikers look bad in their eyes. Don't override your skill level, and definitely take the Basic Rider Course whether you get any discounts or not.

Loud muzzles may piss some people off BUT a loud muzzle will help the hard of hearing driver to noticed you and do not forget about the driver with a Loud radio