Thread: Performax 16-32 conveyor issue...

Performax 16-32 conveyor issue...

Hey guys!

I'm having an issue with the 16-32. When I pass long boards through it (long enough to span, and overhang, the in and outfeed tables...) the workpiece frequently stops in mid travel resulting in a groove in the workpiece. I checked the manual. It says either 1. Too high a feed rate, 2. Tension rollers too high, or 3. Dirty or worn conveyor.

I've tried it with a slower feed rate to no avail. The conveyor is practically new. I just adjusted the tension rollers. At first the board would still stall in some places. Now it doesn't... I'm still very nervous that it will stop.

Any suggestions? I've been keeping my hand on the board, first at the infeed side, then at the outfeed side. Is this really necessary?
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Blog Entries
    Stock Support! The sander probably deals with the weight of unsupported stock hanging out in the breeze worse than a jointer or a tablesaw do ;-) I just use simple roller stands and this solves the problem for me.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Are you sure the infeed and outfeed aren't too high? If they are pushing up, you could lose traction on the conveyor.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Are you sure the infeed and outfeed aren't too high? If they are pushing up, you could lose traction on the conveyor.
    That was the first thing I checked. If anything, they're about 1/64" low of the conveyor.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Stock Support! The sander probably deals with the weight of unsupported stock hanging out in the breeze worse than a jointer or a tablesaw do ;-) I just use simple roller stands and this solves the problem for me.
    I tried that too. With that I was even more worried about a possible slight offset between the infeed and the roller resulting in a dimple in the workpiece when leaving the roller stand.

For now, it seems to be ok. I just made several passes on live edge slab mantle I'm building. So far so good. I kept my hand on it though. Not pushing (in) or pulling (out), but there just in case.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dunn View Post
    live edge slab mantle
    Sounds to me like you are expecting more out of the machine than its capable of.

Sounds to me like you are expecting more out of the machine than its capable of.
    Really? It's not that large. 60"x8"x1-5/8"
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

So you have a ~20lb piece and at any given point in time you have maybe 1 sqft of contact with the belt--yes, I think that's asking a lot of it. Plus for the first 1/3 and the last 1/3 you have most of that weight hanging off one end of the machine which would tend to lift the part in contact.

You're a Festool junkie--don't you have a Rotex?

So you have a ~20lb piece and at any given point in time you have maybe 1 sqft of contact with the belt--yes, I think that's asking a lot of it. Plus for the first 1/3 and the last 1/3 you have most of that weight hanging off one end of the machine which would tend to lift the part in contact. You're a Festool junkie--don't you have a Rotex?
    I guess I never thought of it like that. I never quite let all the overhanging weight be completely unsupported.

My RO-125 is on back order at woodcraft. I thought it was on the truck today. Turns out its on back order. Bummer! They say until the 18th so hopefully I won't have to wait too long.

As for this mantle, I finished the sanding a little while ago. I guess I should use my WM-718 for the mantle sanding. Do you think it would handle it better. Woodmaster, in case you didn't already know.

Thanx for the the tips. I wonder if building in/out feed extensions would help this?
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dunn View Post
    My RO-125 is on back order at woodcraft. I thought it was on the truck today. Turns out its on back order. Bummer! They say until the 18th so hopefully I won't have to wait too long.
    Then you still have time to cancel and buy the RO-150!

I joke, but only partly. I'd buy whichever one is sandpaper-compatible with whatever other sanders you have so you don't need to keep 2 sets. I really like my RO-150 for what its designed for--heavy sanding. I bought it when I did a 4x10 dining table.

Then you still have time to cancel and buy the RO-150! I joke, but only partly. I'd buy whichever one is sandpaper-compatible with whatever other sanders you have so you don't need to keep 2 sets. I really like my RO-150 for what its designed for--heavy sanding. I bought it when I did a 4x10 dining table.
    I hear ya... I have the ETS-125 which is also a 5". I have several hundred sanding pads for it. That's why I opted for the 5". That, and I have to cut my spending somewhere. Lol!
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Same problem

I have the same problem. It happens mostly when I am taking to much off in one pass. The first thing I learned about this sander is to take light passes. It still does it some times. You can not let it self feed with any thing other than small stuff. With large panels I push down really hard and and help to push it through. If you let it stop it will leave a depression. I have not found a way to stop it yet. Maybe someone can help us both.
    Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have sanded many boards as large or larger than yours. I too find I need to put pressure down on the board over the conveyor. If you feel you need a replacement conveyor PM me I recently bought a replacement and minimum order was two.

Mike

Sounds like you need to trade some of that green goo for a better sander. We run a modest dual drum and my routine is to keep the broom and dust pan handy because I'm sweeping up the shop about 3 seconds after the board is inserted. Multi tasking at its best. By the end of an decent sanding session I'm off to the RO and the floor is spotless.

What would be a better drum sander for more heavy duty applications?
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------