Thread: Floor trim over hardibacker...advice?

Floor trim over hardibacker...advice?

I am laying down QSWO trim where carpet meets tile around my wood stove, and I'm wondering what my options are for attaching it.

There is some 1/4" hardibacker under it for now, some which I have to keep bit most is unsecured and could be swapped out for 1/4" plywood.

I'm wondering, instead of nailing or screwing it down, could I glue it down with construction adhesive or something like that? This would eliminate any visual evidence from nails or plugs from screws. I'm wondering if this is problematic for some reason I can think of.

The QSWO boards are about 1/2" thick, and will be overlapping the carpet with a little slot cut out to accommodate, but will butt up against the edge of the tile, not overlap. The individual pieces are 1-4 feet long, with one being 8'. There are a few 45 degree joints, one 90. This info is in place of pictures which I could not figure out how to add with my phone.

Thanks!
    Tom

Tom,

I had to do this twice in my house. One spot was where the oak trim transitioned from the oak floor to the tile, and the other is where a tile floor meets a section of laminate flooring in the laundry room. For the dining room to living room one, I used 18 gauge nails and face nailed it to the hardibacker / subfloor. A few dabs of putty and a wipe of poly later, and even I can't find the nail holes. For the other for the laundry room doorway I made a 1/2" x 5" x 36" threshold and screwed it down with plugs in the screw holes. The plugs are visible, but with careful placement they look fine. I put 3 of them right down the centerline.

Michael

Thanks Michael. I appreciate the reply. I'll just use the brad nailer then and call it a day.