Thread: Cleaning cedar sap from drawer sides

Cleaning cedar sap from drawer sides

I built a hope chest for my grand-niece 2 years ago using locally (Bastrop, TX) available cedar.
    The outside was finished with Target 6000 ... I did not 'seal' the interior of the carcase, expecting to preserve some of the cedar qualities.
    After about a year the drawers became difficult to pull-out. It's now that I've finally been able to take a try to rectify the situation.
    I live in TX ... the 'chest' lives in Cumming, GA.
    I first suspected that the case had just shrunk ... all the side-and-back material has the grain running up-and-down. And, I still think that that is contributing to the problem.
    The side-to-side 'play' increased as I was able to withdraw the drawer(s). When I finally got the drawers out ... I found a sticky-goo on some areas of the sides and back ... which I suspect was a contributing factor.
    Goo-gone had no-effect. Denatured alcohol had some effect, yet, even after removing the 'goo' with a scraper and wash-down with paint thinner , there is still a 'tackiness' to the treated sides.

I'd appreciate any advice as to how to totally remove the 'goo'.

The drawers were built with about 3/64 side clearance ... using bottom-side, UHMW runners with only 1/64 side clearance.
    After cleaning; I will re-cut the drawer components to provide 1/8 side clearance to, hopefully, avert a repeat of the condition.

Thanks-in-advance for any 'coaching'.

I'd try spraying some Zinsser Seal Coat on.
    You should be able to pick up a rattle can of it at the borg.
    One of shellac's qualities is it's ability to seal in sap.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon