Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yay, a saw bench is born!

Very nice. I don't suppose there is a set of plans for this floating around out there? I am afraid however, if my cabinet saw sees me making this a fight may ensue.

Sweeeeeeeeeeet!
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    Very nice. I don't suppose there is a set of plans for this floating around out there?
    hmmm...I would like to know that too...
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Plans for saw bench

Thanks for all the great complements!

OK here's the plans I made to make the saw bench from and cut list. As I mentioned in my first post my saw bench ended up shorter than the plans called for. What happened was that I figured a 6" overhang at the ends was a bit much and made a change but somehow screwed up something and well mines ~45" long with a 4¾" overhang.

You will want the vertical leg parts to be sized for your comfort. Had 2" tenons on each end but trimmed down later.

I didn't try for any thickness, just made sure all was flat, square and the same.

Enjoy, post pictures please!

saw bench plan.JPG
    Last edited by Judson Green; 10-19-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    I don't remember seeing what species you used for the tenon wedges. Looks like walnut?

I have yet to make a saw bench. For x-cuts, I just slap it up on my bench and hack away. Rip cuts, it gets clamped down to the bench or taken over to the band saw my wife nudged me into buying.
    Yes sir walnut indeed. Had a small scrap just the right size.

I've been sawing on the work bench too and the results weren't that great, especially for ripping. So figured I give this a shot. But I'm not gonna be selling my bandsaw.

Blog Entries
    You will want the vertical leg parts to be sized for your comfort.
    My worry is if the bench is too low the saw might hit the floor or the feet going across. Just have to be careful at those points.

One thing that might also help is dog holes positioned to guide the edge of the work piece to keep the kerf over the slot whilst sawing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    But I'm not gonna be selling my bandsaw.
    If I am doing one rip of about 2 - 3' and the band saw has not been set up for the day, it is almost as fast to just rip by hand.

If the band saw is set up for use, then they get ripped on the bandsaw.

For long rips, it is difficult for with my 10" bandsaw to cut long pieces. Partly this is due to my bifocals and partly due to the difficulty of guiding a long piece.

The way my wimpy bandsaw handles some hardwoods, it is faster and ends up with a better kerf to rip by hand.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Excellent job. Adding a rip slot in mine was the best improvement I made to it. I couldn't believe the difference from ripping on the side of the saw bench to ripping with the board supported on both sides of the cut. Rip cuts Can be made without clamps now.
    Good, Better, Best never let it rest
    until your Good is Better and your Better is Best

Member of M-WTCA Area D

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    If I am doing one rip of about 2 - 3' and the band saw has not been set up for the day, it is almost as fast to just rip by hand.

If the band saw is set up for use, then they get ripped on the bandsaw.

For long rips, it is difficult for with my 10" bandsaw to cut long pieces. Partly this is due to my bifocals and partly due to the difficulty of guiding a long piece.

The way my wimpy bandsaw handles some hardwoods, it is faster and ends up with a better kerf to rip by hand.

jtk
    yep that's pretty much how I feel about it too. But I am trying to nurture the Neanderthal in me more. Sometimes it seems silly. Like for mortising, I have a hollow chisel mortiser but I feel it would cheatin so its stashed under my bench. But someday its coming out.
    Last edited by Judson Green; 10-19-2013 at 2:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    Like for mortising, I have a hollow chisel mortiser but I feel it would cheatin so its stashed under my bench.
    I have one, but don't have any bits for it. I think it attaches to a drill press a friend gave me with the mortiser. Haven't set up the drill press either since it is a second one.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I have one, but don't have any bits for it. I think it attaches to a drill press a friend gave me with the mortiser. Haven't set up the drill press either since it is a second one.

jtk

Mine just a mortiser, a Multico PM something, a decent bench top machine. I'd like a bench top drill press.

What's your 10" band saw? Not a Homecraft is it? I've got kind of the thing old Delta Homecraft line.

Beautiful work. A bit up market for me though.

13. Sketchup plans for a similar bench:

http://www.billyslittlebench.com/1/p...-sketchup.html

At the risk of completely hijacking this thread (sorry, Judson!), here's what I'm planning to build now. I modified the "traditional", slotted wedge saw bench to something more akin to this twin platform style with a full length slot down the middle. Although that means I will now have to rip a nice piece of ash I had designated for the top, right down the middle (without the use of a good saw bench, of course).

I'd be interested in thoughts from Creek members on my design since I am a complete novice in this area. I'm looking at using common pine for most of this (with the ash top pieces as I mentioned), but am thinking of using poplar for the lower support end pieces since they have the bulk of the load to carry. I'm not too crazy about the angled tenons and their ability to handle loads, that seems to be the weakness of this design but I don't want to add more feet.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blake View Post
    At the risk of completely hijacking this thread (sorry, Judson!), here's what I'm planning to build now. I modified the "traditional", slotted wedge saw bench to something more akin to this twin platform style with a full length slot down the middle. Although that means I will now have to rip a nice piece of ash I had designated for the top, right down the middle (without the use of a good saw bench, of course).

I'd be interested in thoughts from Creek members on my design since I am a complete novice in this area. I'm looking at using common pine for most of this (with the ash top pieces as I mentioned), but am thinking of using poplar for the lower support end pieces since they have the bulk of the load to carry. I'm not too crazy about the angled tenons and their ability to handle loads, that seems to be the weakness of this design but I don't want to add more feet.

Andy
    Looks really nice to me. I'm sure it will support you and your work piece.