Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15" planer advice

15" planer advice

I want to purchase a 15" planer sometime this year and would like some feedback/opinions/advice please. I was pretty sure I wanted a 15" Delta the local dealer here (www.theworkbench.com) is asking $1236.00 for it. They also sell Powermatic and it is selling for about $1800.00. I looked in the Grizzly catalog tonight and their 15" closed stand sells for $745.00.
    So my question is several fold...anyone have the grizzly and what are your opinions....anyone demo the grizzly versus the Delta or Powermatic? Is it like the old saying "you get what you pay for"? Since I only plan on ever buying one planer (no plan to upgrade later)...it is something I plan on living with for a very long time and I want to make a good decision ... I know this forum is a great place to get the advice I need.
    Should I look to buy a good used one at a savings?
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by Steve Ash; 06-02-2005 at 8:50 PM.

Blog Entries
    i tell you what i have the older 13" lil brother of the delta 15" you are looking at. the only reason i got the planner is the woodworker(retired and professional woodworker now) moved up to a 24" grizzly. moving up in size was his only reason for getting rid of it.

so... your 15" delta will do you just fine. if you are looking at a 15" delta comparison to a 15" grizzly well..... unless someone has actually used both a magazine review or personal preference is pretty mute.....jack
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve, I have the Grizzly 15" with the motor under. It works fine, no problems, and it was in adjustment out of the crate. The digital readout was after market.

Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve, as long as you're shopping, don't overlook the Yorkcraft at Wilke Machinery. The Yorkie equipment has been getting some pretty positive reviews/feedback and Wilke's Customer Service has never been an issue! Always excellent marks for taking care of their customers.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Steve, I have had the PM15 for several years and it had proven to be bullet proof. If I were shopping for one today I would take a close look at the new PM with the ground cast iron infeed/outfeed tables.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

If you're willing to even consider the Delta or PM 15, I'll suggest your money will be better spent on a Grizzly 1033 (or similarly priced) 20". We absolutely abused one of these at the mesquite outfit...I simply can't imagine a very, very serious hobbyist or even a smallish production shop using one harder. Unconditional recommendation, if that's worth anything.

KC

Steve. I gottta echo KC's post. I have the 15" Jet planer, essentially a clone of the PM and the Grizzly. I thought that I would never need a bigger planer, but I was wrong. The current project I'm building would have gone a lot faster with a 24" planer, even a 20" would have been a help.
    I know that a 24" sounds like too much machine for the home shop, but it's not.
    As far as quality is concerned.I find that alot of the planers, from various manufactures look suspiciously identical, but that the price can vary by several hundred dollars depending on the color of the paint.
    Have fun looking, and consider a bigger sized planer. Ya' never know down the road.

"The digital readout was after market."

Where did you get the digital readout? I would like one for my Jet 15".

Thanks,

CPeter

For those with the larger, stationary planers: What has your experience been with snipe on these machines? If the infeed/outfeed rollers and chipbreaker are properly adjusted and the board has been face jointed first, have you been able to eliminate snipe?

How much is the Griz with the spiral head? Never haveing to level blades again sounds very good to me. You may be able to add this feature to the Griz and still in the ball park or under for the other planers.

Just something to further complicate your decision.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Quote Originally Posted by CPeter James
    "The digital readout was after market."

Where did you get the digital readout? I would like one for my Jet 15".

Thanks,

CPeter
    I got the digital readout at a woodworking show, one of the big router bit suppliers, can't remember name. It cost $70.00 but works very well, once you dicide how to mount it.
    Its purpose is not to work in 1000th of an inch, but to get consistent results.

Richard

The Grizz 20" w/ spiral cutterhead (G1033ZX) is $2300.
    Dave on Lake Greenwood, SC

Thanks for the helpful advice guys....I looked at the 20 Grizzly planer (not the spiral head) in the catalog today and seems that would be the best bang for the buck, but I'm still looking and comparing. Also got some advice to look at a Powermatic at an online source.

Steve , I have a Powermatic 15 and it has been fine ...Good machine .Mike

another thought

the one i have heard of recently has no snipe, easy to adjust, dust collection is a snap. complet control and is very powerful yet fully adjustable. the blade changes are as easy as it gets, take one out and drop in the new one .just a tad bit adjusting and it s ready to go, the power supply is mounted on the top as well and the table is rock solide. there are two main companys that i am aware of..lee valley and lie nelson or in the tradesman level the current stanleys.. all you need to do is contack (brad) and he can set you right up
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!