Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3D Lasering?

Bitmap to Vector

[QUOTE=Chuck Burke]Gary,
    That is WAY cool. If there was Corel training in the islands I'd take it in a minute. But I am learing A LOT from cd's and books. And of course this and other fourms. And the Corel website...
    Recently I downloaded the trial version of Adobe Illustrator CS2. Have you used it? What do you think of it? It seems powerful but Corel seems to be able to do everything AI does, so I don't know if I should learn it too or not. Your input would be appreciated. The reason I even looked into AI was the bitmap-vector conversion. I heard it was fabulous, but I"m not sure it is better than Corel. Maybe just my inexperience talking. I also found out Engravelab has a vector conversion feature in it. I'll have to try that too.

Chuck

Chuck, I'm not sure which version of Corel you're using but, CD10 and up is really a lot nicer for bitmap / vector converting. The Trace program got a lot more powerful and makes the cleanup faster!! Bruce

Corel and AI

I just signed up for a course in AI CS2 so I'll start this fall. Boy I hope that I don't get to confused. I'll ask my graphics buddies if they see a difference in ease of use for the bitmap to vector conversion and I'll get back to you. It will be next week as we are doing a show over the next week. Some jewellery that my daughter makes and I engrave. some artwork inn different mediums that my wife does, and of course examples of what the laser can do. Wish me luck, first time for this one.

Gary

Gary,
    With the kind of versatility you are showing I doubt luck will be a factor in your success at the show. I am sure you will do fine but since you asked...... GOOD LUCK!!!!

Chuck

Bruce,
    I"m usind Draw12. I have used trace, but I don't like the results I get. If it is a "simple" graphic it seems to work fine. But the more complex graphics seem to get "chopped" if you will. I guess my mistake is expecting a vector conversion program to give me a more "accurate" result. Alternatively, I have found little on how exactly to use trace, so I could be off on my settings etc.....

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    Albeit I havent seen the latest artcam , I do believe it does have a 3d algorithm for lasers where it sort of "slices" the 3d relief into layers and engraves the slices rather than try to vary power in a single pass. This would allow you to do far deeper and probably far smoother reliefs.
    I know this is an ancient thread, but if it does have that feature, could you point me in the direction of where to find it.?

Thanks
    George

ArtCam3D

Hi George;
    This link may help. 'http://www.artcam.com/videos/
    videos.html

Best regards;
    George
    LaserArts

Beware, Artcam is a tad on the pricey side, still I'm sure you have bags of money
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

8. Hi Peter,

Just want to ask a question about the laserpro spirit...I am in discussions with a Qld distributer and am finalising the quotation for a Spirit GX. It is going to cost around $37,000...similar to the Epilog Helix, both 60W. Could you give me some feedback on the support you get for the GCC machine as this will be an important factor.

Regards, Stephen

Stephen

Where are you located? That price seems to be way out of line for the US.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

3D laser

Stephen,

For the record, I am not a rep for TroTec/Epilog/LCC LaserPro/Universal/Pinnacle etc, but before you buy a laser you owe it to youself to have a look at the TroTec line. And if you have any questions, send me a PM and I'll answer them there for you.

Dave Garcia
    The Wood Block, Ltd

11. Hi Mike and Dave ,

I am located in Australia, NSW. I have spoken to the local Trotec rep and the prices for the Speedy 300 are way too high....good machine, but currently out of my budget.
    Last edited by Stephen Hanlon; 11-03-2009 at 6:00 AM.