Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Workbench Photo-Op

It has everything but the pivoting attatchment. Its the K1 universal type 5 I believe. I thought maybe ity was gloat worthy.

I made my bench out of hickory and trimmed it in jatoba. Don't really know the style of it, but I do know that it was hard to put together, but such a learning experience. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Here's a picture of it finished with a coat of BLO:

1014141_10201847210004839_1222048126_n.jpg

Pictures of the base:

68361_10200156311453432_2101822456_n.jpg 557734_10200159703258225_1384900044_n.jpg 308885_10200159704258250_535512068_n.jpg

The only metal on it is for the Lie-Nielsen and Lee-Valley twin-screw vises. Everything is either M&T draw-bored or dovetailed.

The bottom was left open and is currently getting filled with finishes, solvents, and the shipping crate for my LN #51. My shooting board also rests over the lower stretchers for storage.

[edit]Forgot to add it was completely done by hand, except drilling any holes. I have no hand-powered drill, only a DeWalt 18-V and a hammer drill. The hammer was used with the top because the batteries in my 18V would die after doing a row of 3/4 inch holes.
    Last edited by Adam Cruea; 10-21-2013 at 2:47 PM.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Nice steal Cody. I absolutely love my Emmert K1 and I do have the pivoting head. I use it quite often in the vertical position and it effectively raises my 29.5" high bench about 6-7" for things like small bits of carving and odd shaping.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Nice steal Cody. I absolutely love my Emmert K1 and I do have the pivoting head. I use it quite often in the vertical position and it effectively raises my 29.5" high bench about 6-7" for things like small bits of carving and odd shaping.
    I don't believe you use that thing, Dave. Your shop is WAY too clean and orderly! lol
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

My benches

I have a bunch of reclaimed floor joists and beams laying around my shop. I finally got around to building this one out of old growth douglas fir with red pine legs. I tried a homemade crisscross on the leg vise but wasn't happy with it, so it now has a parallel guide. The wagon vise is my own making with a 1-1/2" wood screw. I finished this bench in August.
    TheBench.JPG
    Then I looked at my salvaged wood pile and though I should do something with the heart pine that's been laying around. So I built this one. Heart pine top and stretchers with red pine legs. The vises are flea market finds. I just finished it last weekend. Now I just have to figure out where to put it.
    IMG_0196.jpg
    Last edited by Paul Incognito; 10-21-2013 at 5:40 PM.

Here's mine, solid ash and made with my own blood, sweat, and tears:

p1020439.20.jpg

For a relative beginner the Roubo was accessible and straightforward to build. Now after using it for a couple years there isn't much I would change. I would probably lose the planing stop and add more dogs out to the end. I would also switch out the parallel guide for a Crisscross, which didn't exist at the time. I love using this capable and heavy bench.

Build process documented here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...My-Roubo-Build

Mike

Here's my bench. Made it about a year ago. Used a solid for door and trimmed out with hard maple. Not real pretty but works good for now. The storage under is for bulky items, I don't need to get in there often.

IMG_20131021_171018_355.jpg

This is one of the best-looking benches I've seen to date.

The "walking deadman" must define the plane of the front apron,
    I gather? It's neat, compact and well lit.

Three things I wish I could say about my bench...

Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post
    Here's my bench. Made it about a year ago. Used a solid for door and trimmed out with hard maple. Not real pretty but works good for now. The storage under is for bulky items, I don't need to get in there often.
    That's a nice bench. I particularly like the shelves behind it. Keeps everything close at hand without being in the way.
    I used a "door off the floor" for years and it served me well.
    PI

Wow gee thanks guys.

I like the term "walking deadman". Yes it is in line, just a little back from, the face of the apron.
    Last edited by Judson Green; 10-21-2013 at 10:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Nice shop, Dave. I just saved your pic to my shop ideas file. I love the plane storage.

Work Bench.JPGOK...here's my bench. Not much, but it works for me. The top is an old solid core door that was scavenged from an old school elementary school re-model back in 1993. I worked at the school district at the time, so this was a freebie. I had this thing sitting in my garage(s) for 18 years and dragged it along through 2 house moves until I finally got around to building the bench 2 years ago.
    The bench frame is made of dumpster dove dimension lumber. The drawers under the bench came from my old waterbed. The wood vise came from the same school district when they were getting rid of wood and metal shops. I've dragged it around for 20 years as well. It didn't get mounted to the bench until last spring! OK...I'm slow. In case you're wondering, the ship model is a 16th century Korean war ship (the Turtle Ship) This was another of my 'procrastination' projects. I started building it about 10 years ago. Just this last summer my wife got disgusted because of how long it has sat around and finished it for me. The tool box on the other end of the bench dates back to my days when I was an avid model rocket enthusiast. It is covered with National Association of Rocketry stickers, Estes stickers, Centuri stickers, MPC stickers....The box held my extensive rocket motor selection. Now it holds my household utility tool kit.

My arm is still sore from drilling dog holes. Last weekend I did a complete overhaul of my workbench. Made the first bench 2 years ago out of scrap wood when we moved in. New bench is free standing and made more for woodworking. The top is 2" maple. I picked it up from an auction for $5.00 still need to clean and flatten the top. before.jpgNewoct2013.jpg

Here is mine.

It lives on the balcony of my apartment. It measures about 2' x 4'.

Finished Bench.jpg

I've posted mine a few time before so most the regulars around here have probably seen it. This is a photo I posted when I first made it. English/Nicholson genetics about 5 1/2' long, 20" deep, and 34" high. Nothing super fancy, but its been a great working bench for me.

IMG_0240.JPG

Now that I own a home and have more space I have a larger bench in the works. Paul Incognito who posted his 2 new benches above is going to work with me on it, let me pilfer his lumber pile, and also provide some mega electon power to make the build go quicker and easier. Will be doing something very different than the first. I was going to with a shaker design, but than I saw Sean Hughto's and Chris Fournier's "Fortune/Nelson" benches, proceeded to buy the Scott Landis workbench book and decided that I want to go more like that. It will still have a touch of shaker in it though. I still plan on having underbench storage but am going to make those as add-ins in case I ever need to relocate the bench. I'm also going to keep a sliding deadman which isn't on the Fortune/Nelson as I joint everything by hand and like having the extra support. Probably will be few month before it comes together but I'm pretty set on the design at this point (I think). Here is my sketchup rendering. Length will be give or take 8', depth with be about 24" and I'm going to go a little higher this time and shoot for more like a 36" height (Paul, now that you've seen the design feel free to get started on it without me )
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 10-22-2013 at 12:22 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...