Thread: Quick Sawstop question.

Quick Sawstop question.

I was planning on buying the Professional Model Sawstop with a 36" fence. An opportunity came up to buy a used Industrial version with a 52" fence. I can't really fit the 52" setup in my shop.

The used saw is 4 years old and appears in excellent shape. It will run me about $900 less then a new one by the time I add all the goodies.

Do you think I should get the used one, and either cut the rails down, or just buy new rails ?
    Is a used Sawstop a good purchase ?

Thoughts please. I have to decide by tomorrow.

Thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

I bought mine used. Didn't even give a second thought. The ICS is a lot heavier than the PCS. You could just buy new rails they aren't that expensive. If it were me I would buy the heavier saw. I prefer the bigger mass for stability. Is it a 3 or 5HP ?

By the used one, no issue on shipping and you save money. I'd cut down the rails, since it should be the last saw you every own. The next guy can by new rails after getting it from your estate sale. LOL

I'd buy the used ICS vs new PCS. It's a bigger saw and heavier.

I'd cut the rails down. Also means you'll have to build a new extension table. You could post in the classifieds here and a couple other forums to see if anyone in your region would be interested in a trade too.

Buy used and cut the rails down. No question.

The professional model is very good, also, but I'd go for the ICS.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I would be extremely suspicious of a 52" Industrial that is $900 less than a 36" Professional.
    They hold their value extremely well and shouldn't be available for a price like that.

But if everything is okay, then it is a very easy decision to take the Industrial. Cut the rails down, sell them, whatever.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Wade: The used saw is basically the same price as a new PCS. It comes with a dado cartridge and insert and a few extras, so by the time I add tax and shipping it works out to about a $900 savings. I'm heading over tomorrow with cash. Let's hope it works out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

If you cut the rails save the cutoffs.
    Its not difficult to weld them back if the need ever arises. The only issue is finding a welder who has the skill which is not hard to do and probably less expensive then purchasing new rails.