Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Widows print driver & control system for chinese machines.

Widows print driver & control system for chinese machines.

Hi, are there any Machines out there that have converted to the Testra system.? This is the email I received from them. Our controls will work great with the Chinese Laser system. You may even use the
    Universal printer driver if you want, as it is fully compatible.

The cost for a conversion kit is $1995. This includes unlimited consulting over the Internet
    using remote desktop to assist you in getting everything running.

One thing that I would need to know is what motors are being used on your system. Some of the Chinese systems use 3 phase motors. Our controller will not run these motors directly, only 2 phase motors. If they are 3-phase we can either use the existing stepper drivers in your machine which will not perform as well (about like they do now) or the motors can be changed for a slight additional cost.

There are a lot of variations in the Chinese machines. You might send me a bunch of photos of the machine so I would have a better idea. If you can get a picture of the motors and the label on them I may be able figure it out right away.

Testra built the controls for ULS for many years and have thousands of them in the field. We have many systems installed as conversions, upgrades or OEM Laser System. I have attached a
    flyer on the ssLASER-KIT. If your machine has the Leetro controller, we also have a smaller panel which is a direct mechanical replacement.

I am looking forward to working with you on this.

Have a Great Day!

Our controls will work great with the Chinese Laser system.
    Subjective, nobody trying to sell you anything is going to tell you it's rubbish.

You may even use the
    Universal printer driver if you want, as it is fully compatible.
    It may well be, nothing to suggest one way or the other without end user experiences.

The cost for a conversion kit is $1995.
    Open and up front about the price, I always like that.

This includes unlimited consulting over the Internet
    using remote desktop to assist you in getting everything running.
    "Unlimited" usually comes with limits of some kind.

There are a lot of variations in the Chinese machines. You might send me a bunch of photos of the machine so I would have a better idea. If you can get a picture of the motors and the label on them I may be able figure it out right away.
    Or they may have no idea WTH your machine is or what motors it uses. Who knows.

Testra built the controls for ULS for many years and have thousands of them in the field.
    "Built" past tense? do they still manufacture for ULS or have ULS moved on? if they have moved on...why?

We have many systems installed as conversions, upgrades or OEM Laser System.
    Ever see the old film "Police Academy" ...."many many many wonderful people who do many many many great and wonderful things" (Comandant Eric Lassard)

I am looking forward to working with you on this.
    I'm sure they are, they get paid to.

Have a Great Day!
    Actually I probably won't as I have to take half a day off to go get my Business Card unlocked as I typed my pin number in wrong 3 times but thanks for the thought anyways

In all seriousness Dan I would probably ask a LOT of questions and want to see some data before handing over $2,000 ish for a system that *appears* to be unknown on most of the mainstream forums (not posted about much anyway). For you personally I would be looking to see what real benefits I'm going to get fitting a system that may well be the best of controls to a machine that will likely not match the quality of the unit running it.
    I've seen a few reverse engineered solutions to making Chinese lasers equal to western lasers and as yet not one of them has been any good. That may change in the near future...who knows.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

I am pretty sure this" http://2laser.com/upgrades_parts_consumables " company is using the Testra laser system on there high end machines, I have had many emails swapped with a person at this company and they provided lots of useful information. One of the comments was, we can bring the chinese unit up to comparable standard to the US machines as to speed and ease of use with a much lower price point and higher power. there upgrade cost was 6K plus at that time.

I found some more info on the Testra system. http://www.powerpr.com/articles/arti...include=134736

This company is using Testra laser system. http://emissiontechnologies.com/

As the chinese develop more potent controllers , and they do this continually , its pretty easy to retrofit one.
    $2k is a lot of money - it remains to be seen what improvements you get for that....
    My low level staff can operate my chinese machines that use RDcam (laserworks) as a driver so it's not that difficult to work with what you got
    What I WOULD like and pay good money for is a WYSIWYG driver that works straight off Corel.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hammerstron View Post
    Our controller will not run these motors directly, only 2 phase motors.
    You missed this one, Dave... 2-phase motors. Cool. So they're using early 1900's-level technology. How retro!
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Oh dear I love reliving my younger years but don't think I really want to be doing it with the stuff that pays me.

I am pretty sure this" http://2laser.com/upgrades_parts_consumables " company is using the Testra laser system on there high end machines
    This company is using Testra laser system. http://emissiontechnologies.com/
    Sadly that's not evidence of the unit being any good, it's selective observation about a companies own product. Unbiased external evidence from third parties is the info you want.

we can bring the chinese unit up to comparable standard to the US machines as to speed and ease of use with a much lower price point and higher power.
    "Comparable" is always a word I dislike when used in advertising, given time and a bit of work I could fit a 600 watt Fiber source to a Chinese K40, that could be advertised as "comparable" to my Vytek 600 watt fiber but in reality it would just be a K40 with a 600 watt fiber source.
    My HX (HPC) 1290 is fitted with a 180watt peak EFR tube, it's a fantasttic tube with an amazing beam profile, the power stability is beyond any of the cheap tubes and a lot better than any RECI tube I've ever used. At that sort of power if I so desired I could be making wedding greetings / favors at speeds near the maximum "advertised" limits of 1,000mm per second linear speed BUT there's a problem, at anything over 175mm per second linear speed the gantry unit, laser head, motors and positional control goes all out of wack and I get corner "wobbles" (a product of simple Physics, lots of weight moving very quickly takes lots of power to change the direction). On paper it will out perform any of the more expensive mid levels of the Epilog,ULS,Trotech machines on cutting ability but due to the rest of the package still being a Cheaper Chinese machine I will loose out at any kind of speed as well as reliability of parts such as Lens's and mirrors.

In essence bolting a Ferrari V8 engine from an F355GTS into my Honda Civic won't make my Honda a Ferrari

On upgrades like the testra you need to look at the whole package, does everything else match the Testra units quality? if not then the machines limitations will be the quality / ability of it's weakest link.

I'd be looking for people that own them, that know a bit about lasers, have something to compare it to and a known history of providing accurate information, opinions are great but data is essential. A good example is Dan's post above, Dan isn't getting paid and there is no gain for him one way or the other if you buy / don't buy the unit and he has a history of knowing what he's on about so I'd probably use that one simple post to go to Testra and ask about why they are using 2 - phase motors.

Don't get me wrong, it may well be a brilliant piece of kit but I'd prefer to hear that from somebody who has nothing to gain/loose from you buying one.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

I still don't understand why no one has developed a WYSIWYG print driver for Chinese lasers.

http://www.hurricanelasers.com/engravelab2013 - Seems like this is the closest thing to that but the issue is you have to work within a proprietary software package.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

I bought one of their units to keep my ULS 25ER laser running after it's controller failed and I could not get a repair that was guaranteed to work. They billed it as being able to be installed in 30 minutes but in fact, the unit came with no manual, no instructions at all. It took most of a day to install and was not a plug in drop in replacement. Holes had to be drilled in the cabinet to route new cables and the cover for the old controller did not fit anymore with the mass of connectors. I was able to suss out the connections by comparing wiring diagrams. I called the manufacturer and the fellow admitted there was no manual for the unit but one would be written soon. BTW, as far as I know, in two years, it has not. Then the real kicker hit, the panel controls were different from the original. Some don't work at all, having no assignments and other work differently. I called about this too and the fellow admitted that the programmer must have left some things out and not tested it. I was assured that a new firmware update was going to be emailed in the next month but it never came. I emailed repeatedly and got no response. I called one more time when my laser needed recharge for tech help to diagnose the problem but the only thing they said was to have it recharged. After that, they would not respond. Another thing they claim but isn't the case is the double speed of the original. It is true in a literal sense, 4% is the old 8% but what they don't tell you is that if you go to speeds above 4%, circles and curves get distorted. I called about this too and was told that I had to buy their software driver to correct that problem. It was something like $400. So I only cut at 4% max. However, it does cut circles and curves faster than the old unit did so I did get some productivity improvements.

I found workarounds for the problems and have managed to make my laser do what I need it to but as far as recommending them, I can't.

Kay
    AerodromeRC
    WWI and Golden Age R/C scale model airplane kits
    25W ULS 25ER, AutoCAD 2000i

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay Bengtson View Post
    However, it does cut circles and curves faster than the old unit did so I did get some productivity improvements.
    Of course, the ULS 25ER is a nearly 20 year old system, so I'd be curious to see what the actual speed "improvement" is compared to a recent system.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Of course, the ULS 25ER is a nearly 20 year old system, so I'd be curious to see what the actual speed "improvement" is compared to a recent system.

I can't give an objective answer to that since I don't have a recent system to compare but I can say that my system allows me to cut an average kit with 250 parts in four hours when it used to take six.

(I'd love to have a new laser that is good at cutting thin balsa and BB and etch text labels but with this economy, that isn't going to happen. )

Kay.
    AerodromeRC

Great info Kay, thanks

I called about this too and was told that I had to buy their software driver to correct that problem.
    Sadly I have some doubts that their driver will fix a problem that is caused by one of the fundamental laws of Physics (Velocity,Mass,Kinetic Energy equation) watered down 2 x speed = 4 x energy.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Great info Kay, thanks

Sadly I have some doubts that their driver will fix a problem that is caused by one of the fundamental laws of Physics (Velocity,Mass,Kinetic Energy equation) watered down 2 x speed = 4 x energy.

cheers

Dave
    They have a video of a 25ER cutting a spiral on paper that is super fast. I think the motors and belt system are capable of handling at least some of the faster speeds but I think that they must have used their new driver that sends more points per curve and perhaps that they over tightened the belts for the example.

The issue for me was that they claimed the standard ULS driver would be fine but then said I needed to buy this expensive driver. That is misleading and it made me mistrust them

Kay
    AerodromeRC

Hi Kay,

Indeed, I'd be thinking very much the same as you, once bitten twice shy as it were. What would worry me is if a Western machine had some problems with their card then the chances of an Eastern machine having the same problems or worse are statistically very likely.
    I guess I've had a few too many years doing this to take manufacturer statements at anything more than face value these days, it's quite sad when as an industry we reach the stage of assuming most of the claims we read are false

best wishes

Dave
    You did what !