Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pizza peel

Pizza peel

I'm going to make a pizza peel, about 14" by 14" with a handle. My question to you is, "What's the best wood to make it out of?" Pine, maple, or does it matter?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I made mine out of clear, pitch free pine; easier to shape, lighter, and doesn't suck as much heat out of the pizza when you take it out of the oven. Any light weight wood should do.

John

TWW used spare bubinga and curly maple, but claimed it didn't really matter. I'd recommend against anything you're allergic to.
    http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/vide...to-pie-recipe/

Matt

I took John's advice and went with clear pine. It helped that I had some scrap clear pine from some previous project (which I no longer remember). It's 14" wide and 13" from front to beginning of the handle. I wanted to go 14" by 14" but the scrap was only so long and the handle would have been too short if I made it 14" by 14". The pine produces a peel that's very light and easy to handle.

It's a good hand tools project because tapering the peel can only be done by hand planes (at least I couldn't think of another way). The pine planes very easily, but some advice - If you have to glue boards together, try to get the grain going the same way so when you plane it, you're planing down grain across the whole peel. If you do, then you'll likely plane from top to bottom on one side and bottom to top on the other side. I used spokeshaves to ease the edges.

It's a simple little project but it's nice to do a simple project now and then as relief from the more complex ones.

Mike

[Oh, finish: I put mineral oil on it as a finish.]

Pizza-Peel-1.jpgPizza-Peel-2.jpg
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I made mine with ash and walnut---mostly because I had it on hand, but I also think it looks pretty. I think almost any specie would work.

Pizza Peel [1] (10-26-13).jpgPizza Peel [2] (10-26-13).jpg

Also, I did most of the tapering by machine (drum sander and sled)

When we make peels at the shop I taper them on the jointer then RO.

Were usually burning up scraps and making them to sell or gift so the faster the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I'm going to make a pizza peel......
    So THAT is what you call them things. From the subject like, I thought it was some kinda weird cooking technique - how to make a pizza peel away from..........dunno. Learn something new every day, don't we?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Nice job Mike. Anyone who uses a peel much quickly learns to appreciate the light weight.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    I made mine with ash and walnut---mostly because I had it on hand, but I also think it looks pretty. I think almost any specie would work.

Pizza Peel [1] (10-26-13).jpgPizza Peel [2] (10-26-13).jpg

Also, I did most of the tapering by machine (drum sander and sled)
    Very nice looking, Jerry. I like the racing stripes. And the overall shape.

Too bad I can't change the subject line on the opening post. I'd change it to "Show us your Pizza Peel!"

Mike

Basswood

Used around food quite a bit. Easy to work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    Used around food quite a bit. Easy to work as well.
    Good idea, and not very expensive. Also usually clear (no knots).

Mike

I've made about a dozen so far (and have requests for 3 more). I used Birdseye maple and cherry for all of them. I built a sled so I could taper them on my planer after trying to taper the first one with plane and bet sander.

Did anybody else read the thread title and think we were talking about really horrible orange peel? Y'know, such a bad finish job that the surface is as rough as a pizza?

I do have to admit: The topic made me so curious that I HAD to read this one.
    And I bet I'm not the only one!! Education comes from the strangest places.

Very nice Mike, thanks for the motivation, I think I'll make one for a Christmas present...........Rod.