Thread: Incra Ultra Jig question

Incra Ultra Jig question

Purchased at auction and not sure I can or want to use it. I have no experience with this product. Is this jig a practical general use router fence or is it really only for joint making? It's a 24 inch model and too big to fit my router table top. My RT is my TS extension wing and the router plate is placed so that routed stock is fed parallel to the TS fence. I gather the actual aluminum jig base is mounted to plywood which can then be clamped or otherwise attached. Could it be attached to the TS top or would that make switching between tools too time consuming? Would it need to be indexed so it was attached in the exact position each time? I know I could just try it but the box is unopened and I prefer to keep it that way in case I decide to sell it. Also is this a practical fence for use on a table saw? Could the jig base just be rotated between tool tops so the fence is usable for both? Hope that all makes sense. Thanks, Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

There is an Incra model for a tablesaw/router extension wing. You should check out the Incra website. The accuracy of their fences is phenominal and repeatable with dead on accuracy.
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

For you application it sounds like it is not a good fit. This was designed to be used with a stand alone router table. The Incra jig allows for very accurate and repeatable cuts to be made with your router. This is important for joinery, but also very handy with other cuts that you will want to make using your router. As you are sharing your table saw surface and fence, then there is little room to install this unit.

Sounds like you got it for a good price in an auction so resale of it won't be a problem if you decide to stick with the current install you have.

It's a good fence and you could mount it to your wing still. I have a 25 inch incra installed the same way your talking about. I also didn't use a piece of plywood I put four nuts in my side table and when I want to mount the incra I just screw it down. It would be nice if you could rotate it and use it for both saw and router but I don't see how you do that accurately and also the incra jig itself doesn't give you a whole lot of room once it is mounted to the table.

Thanks for the advice. Keith, when you mention placing it with accuracy, are you saying that the base must be mounted in the exact place each time it is used? That it can't be quickly and easily re-zeroed? Could the base be keyed to one of the table saw miter slots and/or the edge of the router table when using it as a table saw fence? You're using it with a side table and not your table saw top? Andy, I'll look at the Incra site to see the model you mention. I'm aware of their accuracy and that's why I would like to use it. Matt, I actually probably paid more than I should have. I was thinking it was the Incra Table Saw fence. Doh! I've read the manual but somehow, if I can do what I'm proposing, escapes me. Really don't want to take it out of the box if possible unless I'm reasonably certain. Appreciate any more feedback from users of this product.
    Mike

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Below is a picture of the mounting base I originally made for a Incra Ultra jig to use on a table saw with a 52" Unifence. I would use the Incra Jig as the table saw fence when I needed to do a lot of repeat setups.
    On the saw pictured & the original saw, I installed threaded inserts in the extension to mount the base to the saw. The slots in the base allowed me to quickly move the jig closer of further from the blade.
    The Incra jigs are very east to zero out, because all of the scales are moveable.

Chris, thanks for taking time to post that picture. When you were using the Incra fence for the router did you move the fence to the back of the router table and feed stock across toward the table saw top or did you leave it in that position and feed from the front toward the back?

Here is a photo of my setup. If you wanted to rotate it around where the mounting are is at at least kn my setup the base would always be right in the middle and limit you. Now if you wanted to have another mounting point out on the far right of your side table you could do that I guess but the router fence isn't really an adequate fence for the saw In my opinion. I have heard of people using the mitre slot as a reference point and might have done that but my side table is to long for that. The base doesn't need to be mounted in the exact position every time because your reference is the router bit. That having been said I lined mine up with the edge of my cast iron wing just because And I can pretty much mount it in the same spot every time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Keith. That gives me a better idea of what's possible. And I was planning on indexing it in the miter slot and adding a second index somewhere on the router table. Like you I have a uni-fence and I take your point about the Incra not really being a good TS fence.