Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking bandsaw advice and a gloat

Seeking bandsaw advice and a gloat

First off let me say that I have a Craigslist addiction and need help. So within the last month I have aquired 3 bandsaws from Craigslist and sold a Rikon 14" saw. First off is a 2009 Laguna 14SEL which was only 15 min. from my house. It came with a Driftmaster fence and 2 resaw king carbide blades as well as the mobility kit. I got it for $550. That is why I sold the Rikon. Last week an ad for woodworking tools has a Grizzly G0514x for $400. Went to check it out and brought it home. It needs a little clean up and a new cord, but it also came with a carbide blade. Just couldn't pass it up. Fast forward to yesterday, browsing Craigslist I see a Minimax MM16 listed about 2 hours from home. I called and jumped in my truck right away. It was brand new and still in the original shipping packaging. The seller ordered it and never got to unpack and use it. He was asking $700. Now I have three bandsaws packed into my shop and have to decide what to sell and what to keep. Assuming you could only keep one, what would you do? Ok, here is the proof:
    SL732223_zps8451b526.jpgSL732225_zpsd8b259c6.jpgSL732227_zpse31ef370.jpgSL732228_zps7f667e6c.jpg

MM16 with the driftmaster. No brainer. I'd keep two though. Dave

MM 16 Like David said No brainier
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Wow, nice score with the MM16..That's considerably less than 50% of the cost of the machine, even a Gen I MM16 cost more than $1400 back in the day.. Easy decision, I would keep the MM16 ..

Wow: A mint MM16x16 for $700....

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

See now you've shown your hand, there's no way with all that room you can't keep at least 2!!!

I'd say keep the Minimax and the Laguna. The Minimax since it's a good quality saw, and the Laguna since it has the RSK blades already

good luck,
    JeffD

Crazy gloat. I thought the Felder FB540 (21") I got for $1100 was a great gloat. Congrats. I sold my "I bought new" Powermatic 143 14" saw to make room for the Felder and I regret it often. If I had more space I'd have two bandsaws, one for resawing and one with a narrow blade...joe

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    You must live near bandsaw heaven. I never see deals like that here.
    If I could only keep one it would be the MM16 and the Driftmaster like Dave said...but, I would try hard to keep two. To this day, I regret selling my Delta 14" when I bought my MM16.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I've been trolling my CL's for months looking for a larger BS with no luck. You suck!
    Last edited by Matt Ellis; 10-22-2013 at 11:50 AM.

If you're close to me I would be glad to store one for you.

I'd resell the MM for $1,800; it ought to bring that. Geez you suck.

I sold a 514x with a carbide blade for $800 last year, and you bought one for $400?! Geez you suck.

I'm no help, with a shop that size I would keep all three!

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Given your investment, you can sell off the Grizz for closer to market value and keep dedicated blades on your others.

The MM16 set to resaw with the Driftmaster, the Laguna with a more narrow blade for curves and crosscuts.
    If you find one doesn't get used in a year, it won't be hard to find a home for them at or above your cost.

I think collecting Hummel figurines or Netsuke might be more compact compulsions, but to each their own...

DEFINITE "you suckage!!" A new MM16 for $700!! I hope you're posting under an alias, otherwise the cops may be looking for you!

I am SOOOO jealous...
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

You got three band saws? I'm so jealous. Try to do a paper game Lol. I'll keep the MM16.