Thread: Rebuilding DeWalt Batteries

Rebuilding DeWalt Batteries

In this recent thread, alot of creekers recomended battery rebuilding. But I had some more questions regarding rebuilding DeWalt batteries. I have (4) 12 V batteries that I would like to have rebuilt. These are an older style that don't seem to have any way to open them up.
    Has anyone found a way to open up these batteries for rebuilding? Has anyone taken (or sent) this style of batteries to a battery place for rebuilding? Do the rebuilders work on an exchange basis, taking your old battery as a core?

Fortunately the newest batteries I bought do have screws to open them up. I wouldn't have bought them if they didn't. Well, that and the fact that Lowe's screwed up and put them on clearance for $35 (same p/n, same sku as old style). Otherwise I would have been looking to replace my trusty old 12V I've had for what seems like forever (12+ years).

Funny thing, the original set of batteries lasted a long time, at least 8 years, the second set was rather disappointing, and only last a couple of years. The newest ones have an incredibly long run time. I hope they last a long time too.

Bill,

Are you looking to do this yourself or have it done? If you are looking to have it done, the best thing to do is to take them to a battery store and ask them. We have had some "Sealed" batteries rebuilt. Bacially they cut them open, re-do them, and then glue them back shut.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga

Talking

Check these guys out .. .. I've used them and have been very pleased .. .. ..

http://www.primecell.com/what.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wingard
    Check these guys out .. .. I've used them and have been very pleased .. .. ..
    http://www.primecell.com/what.htm
    So, approximately, what do these guys charge for a rebuild on a 12V battery?

$33.00 per the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lewis
    So, approximately, what do these guys charge for a rebuild on a 12V battery?
    There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatos

I just got a flyer from H/D I think??? They were selling NEW 18V DeWalt batteries for $29.95!!