Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Design advice on a vase foot

Design advice on a vase foot

This is a roughed out vase on a faceplate. I would like your recommendations on whether to include a foot. If so, how big?

Thanks all. One picture is after 80 grit sanding, the other has some dewaxed shellac soaked in for the softer inclusion areas.

It is very dry avocado.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

My vote is for no foot.
    The vase is very nice, I like the orientation that you used.

No foot...bottom about 1/3 the widest dia. of the vessel.

no foot. Wally's comment is spot on. Tuck the edge under, too.

Well ,I am not a turner. Do look at all the projects. As I said once before many of these vases seem precarious with too small bases. With the unbalanced top weight that would seem to be more true for this piece. I can't help wondering if the artists in turning have decidedly different tastes than potential buyers,I suggest asking for opinions from some non turners and comparing votes.

Mel, aside from anyone else's comments, what should I do with the foot on this one?

Brian I happen to think something like that needs a base to at least give it the appearance of of stability. It don't need to be a large base but like Wally said about the 1/3 of top diameter but I would make it look like a base.
    Fred

From what I can make out in photo I wouldn't want it any smaller than it is now and think its fine the way it is .There might be some slight refinement needed that I just can't see. It doesn't hurt to think like a buyer,with carpeting on all the floors and all the shelves already full a potential buyer might conclude they literally don't have a safe surface to display it.And a table that might get jostled probably wouldn't do with a small base.

When it is taken off the lathe the foot will make it appear heavy. The piece would look better without a foot. Stability is not much of an issue if the bottom is turned to 1/3 or the maximum diameter. This is an art piece and a foot will make it look cumbersome.

Your piece so you do as you see fit.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Wood turning and silver smithing don't have a lot in common ,but they both use the urn form .The most delicate urn form is what most of us call "Federal",I can't find ANY silver urns with a base that isn't bigger than one third of largest diameter.

I asked my non-woodturning friends on Facebook.
    7 comments say footless, 4 say footed.
    I have another piece of wood, same grain directions and proportions, though slightly smaller. I may finish one with and one without.
    I can convince myself either way.

Here's what I ended up with last night. I curved the bottoom in as if it had no foot, then included a very low pedestal for stability. I am happy with the result.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good and stable. How does it feel when you rock it or bump the table? I agree with your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Here's what I ended up with last night. I curved the bottoom in as if it had no foot, then included a very low pedestal for stability. I am happy with the result.
    turning is all about learning and doing. you have to be able to recognize forms . there are various ways to and there are ways not to pay attention to forms and usually friends and those close to you are not them. one is that they more than likely know less about it than you and they will always tell you how nice it is so that they won't hurt your feelings and encourage you. a set of false impressions.
    most bowl or vase forms that woodturners copy org are derived from oriental ceramics. I would seriously look at the vessels of the Japanese tea ceremony. Korean and Chinese ceramics.
    for a quick study of the basic form that you are using is to look at the turned objects of David Ellsworth; his earlier stuff. David also has an MFA which also helps
    I am going to offer a little trick on how to look at your current piece. take and print the above images 1,2 an3. then cut off your base completely and the appraise it
    ron

Agree with Thomas,looks good. And ,yeah,let us know what you think of stability.