Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White on black plastic

White on black plastic

I had a client bring me some parts.He had them laser marked by someone trying to sell him a laser.Unfortunatly for him they were all marked wrong.But some of these were black plastic and the mark is bright white.It is not deep so I dont think it was color filled.How could this have been done?
    GCC new mercury II 40 watt
    Corel Draw x5 suite
    All kinds of woodworking/construction junk

Fiber lasers tend to do that. Maybe YAG also, though I have not tried it.
    Triumph TR-9060 with 5200 Chiller and 100 watt Z4 RECI.

I don't know about BRIGHT white, but cast black acrylic engraves white. In some cases it is bright enough as to not require filling.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Silvers View Post
    Fiber lasers tend to do that. Maybe YAG also, though I have not tried it.
    Did a google search and I think you are right Robert.He had to have these done tonight so Im going mask and fill.Would be nice to have a speed 400 flex right now.
    Corel Draw x5 suite

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Reinhard View Post
    I had a client bring me some parts.He had them laser marked by someone trying to sell him a laser.Unfortunatly for him they were all marked wrong.But some of these were black plastic and the mark is bright white.It is not deep so I dont think it was color filled.How could this have been done?
    Depending upon the plastic, a CO2 or a fiber/YAG will mark it, as mentioned earlier... they also make laserable plastics with microcaps (very shallow engraving), so that would be a white base with a black microcap. I'm going to guess that's not it, though, as you would likely notice the multiple plys.

During the NBM show, Trotec was using their Flexx machines to engrave black acrylic with their fiber and cut it out with their CO2. Is the engraving about coaster-sized, cut to the shape of the engraving?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Depending upon the plastic, a CO2 or a fiber/YAG will mark it, as mentioned earlier... they also make laserable plastics with microcaps (very shallow engraving), so that would be a white base with a black microcap. I'm going to guess that's not it, though, as you would likely notice the multiple plys.

During the NBM show, Trotec was using their Flexx machines to engrave black acrylic with their fiber and cut it out with their CO2. Is the engraving about coaster-sized, cut to the shape of the engraving?
    These were like the plastic pieces from a shop vac hose conector and attachments.
    Corel Draw x5 suite

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Reinhard View Post
    These were like the plastic pieces from a shop vac hose conector and attachments.
    Probably a polymer... butyrate, etc. Can you get a close-in look at the engraving? Is it smooth, or is it slightly raised? If the latter, likely a fiber did it... foaming.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

White plastic can be spray painted with black paint. When you laser engrave the piece you get white text on a black background.

I do this all the time as I have to match colors for my window style ADA door signs. I use the same color engravers plastic that I cut letters and numbers from and paint the insert the same color as the sign blank. Its rare that I can find engravers plastic that matches both of the colors I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Probably a polymer... butyrate, etc. Can you get a close-in look at the engraving? Is it smooth, or is it slightly raised? If the latter, likely a fiber did it... foaming.
    Yes ,it was slightly raised.I lasered ovals over them and then just masked and color filled .They came out nice.But I can now see a flex laser in my future.
    Corel Draw x5 suite

Black acrylic does engrave white, and it can be made whiter with a wipe of white acrylic paint..It also accepts photographs as good as granite, and using exactly the same settings. Sometimes I'll use a piece to test a granite engraving before I etch it in stone..
    AztecCoaster.jpg
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Interesting, I've got some odd pieces of Black Acrylite and will have to try this out. Thanks for the info!

Bill,

I assume that your black acrylic is cast and not extruded.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Bill,

They are not acrylic .They are the black plastic hoses and conectors for shop vacs.They were labeld for storage.the engraving was white.So I am assumong as Dan said it was marked with a fiber laser.
    Corel Draw x5 suite

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Bill,

Actually I'm not sure Keith..This was a bunch given to my by my signmaker neighbor. He had broken a window on his truck cap, and bought it to cut out the piece he needed. I doubt if he would have bought cast for that job but stranger things have happened. This stuff has a brown paper backing on both sides and nothing is written on it.. I don't use a lot of acrylic so I'm not sure if there is a difference in the etched colour between cast and extruded of black acrylic
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Whatever it is the contrast is excellent for a solid color material without having to paint fill.

I purchase Acrylite from a local distributor and I always purchase cast because it engraves with lots of contrast. There is another reason as well, cast acrylic can be cut for routing templates because it holds up really well as a bearing surface. Extruded acrylic melts at a much lower temperature so routing templates don't last very long.