Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling It Quits

Calling It Quits

After 25 years of building stairs and railings in the Long Island, NY market, I'm closing up shop. This Friday I will be moving to Charlotte, NC to start a semi retirement life. I will still need to work, but at a much more relaxed pace. Hopefully, only two or three days a week. Maybe railings, maybe something else, we will see how it works out.
    The cost of living and running a business in NY has gotten out of control, and I'm tired of the grind. Next time I talk to you, I may have a southern accent. LOL
    Richard

Best of luck Richard. There's a lot to like about Charlotte. Let us know how you are doing after you get settled.
    Fred

Thumbs up

Richard, enjoy the next (best) phase of your life!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Richard,
    Welcome to the "Wonderful South". Ya'll come on down and we'll have some grits.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Great town, nice weather, pleasant neighbors - may your move be uneventful.

http://charlotte.about.com/od/2013-R...-Charlotte.htm
    PS - Appalachian Oysters are an acquired taste, and not from the sea...

Good luck to you. May you always be able make choices. Don't retire from the creek!

Richard,

Here's wishing for you the best of everything as you go in to semi-retirement.

I will miss the photos of your most current projects. Your skills have been and always will be an inspiration to a hack like myself.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Richard,

Congratulations! I wish you well in your next endeavor. I hope that you will stay a member of the creek. Your work and commentary has helped to make the community the wonderful place it is. I have appreciated your contributions and admire your work. Best wishes.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Good for you, brother. Enjoy the warm weather.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

changes

best of luck in your new adventure and thanks for sharing your work all these years
    jerry
    jerry

Congratulations. I decided to retire three years ago and it was the best decision I ever made. I'm loving it. Just remember not to retire from something, but to retire TO something and you'll have a ball.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will finally know peace.

Quitter

Enjoy. Might be tough to slow down so suddenly. Work your way down slowly.

Richard,
    Congratulations on your semi-retirement and also on your move to Charlotte! You will love Charlotte! My 3 grown kids(spouses) and 10 grandkids all live in Charlotte. My son in law is from NYC(my daughter/his wife) went to school in NYC. They moved back about 3 years ago and love it. They loved NY also but after having kids, they were looking for a more relaxed lifestyle.
    My wife and I live in Winston-Salem , NC (about 70 miles north of Charlotte) and head to Charlotte about 3-4 times a month to visit. I think you will enjoy your move.
    If you ever head to upstate NC(Winston-Salem), look me up. And keep posting, your staircase work is nothing short of phenomenal!

Jim

Hopefully, only two or three days a week.
    Just remember - you're retired (or semi retired)....

Those plans to only work three days a week sort of go the way of the wind in a hurry.

I retired over two years ago and earlier this year found myself working nearly 80 hours a week.

Bookmark this thread and come back to it in a couple of years & see how that two/three days a week thing is panning out.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Best wishes on your move, settling down and future endeavors, Richard! Check in here to let us know how you're faring.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore