Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me with a vacuum press purchase

Help me with a vacuum press purchase

I posted in classifieds looking for a used vacuum press. I am starting out making veneer boxes and planning on flatwork at this time. Maybe I will get to some curved surfaces on the boxes after I get going. I would still like to plan for expansion should I broaden my horizons but trying to keep my budget close to 4 or 5 hundred. I know nothing about the systems and looking for some advise to purchase what fits my needs while trying to stay within my target budget.

This looked like a nice started system: http://www.vacupress.com/products2.htm#compact100

I realize that a larger CFM rating will pull down faster and allow for a larger bag. Is there any other reason why I would need a CFM larger than 1? Do I really need a poly bag for flat work?

What would you advise me to purchase to get started. I am not opposed to building a kit from Joe Woodworker but I get a little lost trying to figure out what is best for me.

Thanks for any tips or direction.

Poly is better than vinyl for curved surfaces. The major reason for a higher CFM bag is to pull down faster. This is primarily a need in larger bags and for curved work.

If you buy a small system, and take care of it, you might be able to sell it and get a fair amount of your money back. A buyer is going to be concerned about whether there are any leaks in the bag, and how much life is left in the pump.

Regarding a kit from Joe Woodworker, he used to sell a kit, without a pump, for about $150. I don't know what the current price is. He also sold some rebuilt pumps for about $100. To that you add some schedule 40 PVC which is not very expensive. While this won't help you now, Joe has a sale on bags about once a year. But without a sale, I guess a 4' by 8' bag will cost you about $200. I haven't checked prices in a long time.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 10-23-2013 at 11:45 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

This pump from veneer supplies; http://www.veneersupplies.com/produc...ss-System.html plus a bag of your choice from the same site will get you going fast and easy and keep you on your budget. I've been using this same pump for flatwork with a 2' x 4' bag for several years and it's done everything I've wanted to do with zero issues. The small pumps like this do have their limitations, such as large or leaky bags or deeply curved work.

I bought a used Gast pump on ebay for less that $100 shipped. It looks just like the one referenced above and it works fine.

Sign up for jww's email list. He sends out sale emails monthly and I think he has his bags on sale every few months or a couple times a year. He usually makes the sale worth the wait for the bags.

I have one of his systems that I use with my compressor and it works great. Fun build too.

Looks like Joe does have a nice 3 CFM rebuilt pump for $100. Will probably go with that one. Do I need the auto cycling kit? Does it really matter if the pump runs continuously? What is your recommecdation?

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Fries View Post
    Looks like Joe does have a nice 3 CFM rebuilt pump for $100. Will probably go with that one. Do I need the auto cycling kit? Does it really matter if the pump runs continuously? What is your recommendation?
    If you're going to work in the shop while you have something in press, you'll appreciate the intermittent pump. The pump is loud enough that it could drive you out of the shop. I have the intermittent pump and I can put up with it running every now and again (and on a good bag, the pump doesn't run very often).

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Also, if you already have a compressor, the Venturi based systems make sense as you don't have to purchase a pump. Check Joe's site for a chart with CFM ratings and compressor requirements.

George is right about the venturi systems. However, you trade off running a vacuum pump for running your compressor. I haven't used a venturi system but I think the venturi has to run continuously to keep up the vacuum (I don't think it has a way of detecting the level of vacuum and turning off when a certain level of vacuum is reached). If so, your compressor is going to run a lot unless you have a big compressor and tank.

Mike

I got an excel 1 from veneersupplies.com. My first project was to make some bent lamination panels for a sleigh bed. (Not "veneered" because the surface layer was 1/8" thick.) I looked
    at the vacupress.com sight and their kits seem just as expensive as the ones I looked at. (Veneersuppliers.com seems to be associated with joewoodworker.com.) I bought the bag separately
    and opted for the more expensive one that I thought would last longer. I've been more than happy with the system.

This is some years ago, but I bought a used, high quality vacuum pump from a used machinery dealer for maybe $75, and some new but not expensive sheet vinyl and vinyl glue to make my own bags (easy peasy). Tubing was scrap, the platen was a piece of particle board that I scored on the table saw, etc. I was up and running for a very minimal investment in either time or money, and got great results right from the get go.

I can't say enough good about vacuum veneering: even if you buy everything new, the ease of the process and the terrific results still make it worth your investment

About two months ago I assembled Joewoodworker's EVS kit.I am very pleased with the system as well as with Joe's help. I had few questions (my ignorance) during the assembly, and Joe Joe helped promptly and effectively. I also find his web site very instructive.
    Best wishes,
    Metod

In the shop that I'm at we have a venturi system hooked up to a 60" x 120" table. The compressor does cycle a couple of times as the system clamps down and the venturi only cycles for short periods to maintain the vaccuum. Bear in mind, I'm talking about a large compressor that is piped throughout the shop. Your best bet would be to figure out how large of a bag or table you'll need at first and talk to the suppliers of the pumps and other equipment to find something that suits you needs.

to evacuate a large table , get a portable air tank (the type used to inflate tires etc) .
    hook it inline to your vacuum pump . empty the tank , then open valve to to empty table .
    i had mine hooked up with a bypass valve(s) . open tank , vacuum table , then close tank and just use the pump .
    used to make wind chests for pipe organs , some were pretty big . pretty sure the table i used was 5 x 9 .

My small Gast pump is probably not much CFM but it's also not noisy and I just let it run. I've done some curved stuff with it in a 4x4 bag and it worked fine.