Thread: Deft Brushing Lacquer

Deft Brushing Lacquer

I am new to using Lacquer and I need to spray a top cote on six dinning chairs. The chairs have several coats of 1# shellac sprayed on them. I was thinking one or two quarts of Deft Brushing Lacquer should be enough. However I can get a Gallon for $26. What kind of coverage can I expect using an HVLP gun? What is the shelf life of an opened can of the Deft Lacquer? Should I stock up at that price? Or are there other brands/products available at similar prices?

On another note. How much thinner should I use in this application? I have read anywhere from none to 50/50. What has been your experience.

Regards,
    James

James,

I have read that the solvents in brushing lacquer are retarded to delay drying and allow some flow out of the brush marks. Of course you do not want that for spraying. I picked up sprayable lacquer from the local Sherwin Williams, and also the spray cans from Home Depot work surprisingly well.

Spraying lacquer around here is almost impossible to find. I have thinned the brushing lacquer and it sprays better than the rattle cans. I just do bowls and small projects and been using automotive clear coat lacquer. It does a real nice job. I get it from Tractor Supply for around $15.00. It is $25.00 quart at Auto Zone.
    Fred

Rich,

How much did you pay for the lacquer at SW. What is the product called. I called SW and they quoted me $65/per gal plus a $14 pouring fee since it only comes in 5gal pails. They said that that was the only single component product that they carry. This was a CC store.

I thought that the retarder in the brushing lacquer would be an advantage (more forgiving) for someone with little experience spraying lacquer. I have read a lot of posts on forums that say this product does work for spraying. But I thoght some of the gurus here might chime in on it or another comparable coast alternative.

I still need an idea on how much top coating six chairs will require.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Enders View Post
    James,

I have read that the solvents in brushing lacquer are retarded to delay drying and allow some flow out of the brush marks. Of course you do not want that for spraying. I picked up sprayable lacquer from the local Sherwin Williams, and also the spray cans from Home Depot work surprisingly well.

James,

The SW product that I bought is called ProMar Hi-Build Lacquer B44 FT5. It is a nitrocellulose lacquer and it is 27% solids. They do not list coverage area, but my other finishes range from 400 to 500 square feet per gallon. Unfortunately I don't have the receipt, and do not recall the cost, but probably at least $40 per gallon.

I added lacquer thinner to the ProMar (perhaps 5-10%) to reach the recommended viscosity level for my HVLP. I sprayed about 250 square feet and the gallon seems about half full. To figure how much you will need you will have to estimate the area on your chairs and then multiply by the number of coats. Personally I would allow for 4 to 6 coats.

I have no personal experience trying to spray brushing lacquer. It just seems risky if you spray a vertical surface with something that is 3/4 solvent which has been retarded to delay evaporation. I think you want fast evaporation. On the other hand Fred Belknap reports good results with brushing lacquer and his cost is excellent.

I've sprayed Deft Lacquer several times and I think it's great. I thin mine unscientifically about 25% with the lacquer thinner from the BORG. I spray with a cheap HVLP and I think this product is easier to spray then even shellac. Just don't try to put it down thick; many thin coats is better.

I wouldn't buy an 'extra' can of finish unless you plan on using it fairly quickly. That being said, that stuff doesn't move that quickly out of the BORG's, so there's a good chance if you buy it fresh next year it's the same can you're looking at today.

I used a gallon on a 96" wide entertainment unit and two office tables, and still have some to spare.

I have no experience with Deft lacquers or brushing lacquers, for that matter. I have used Sherwin Williams Hi-Bild Pre-Cat almost exclusively and spray it with a rather cheap HVLP cup gun. I've been very happy with it. It comes in gallons. The product number for a gallon of Medium Rubbed effect is T77F57. I pay $46/gallon. They add a catalyst at the store. Shelf life after the catalyst is added is 6 months. The last thing I finished where I kept track of how much I used was a dresser and headboard. I used about a half gallon to spray them.

I've also used a water-based lacquer from SW called Kem Aqua Plus. (T75F557 gallon medium rubbed) It's about $38/gallon. I'm impressed with the finish but it isn't quite as smooth and clear as the solvent-based product. With good air movement, I've been able to sand and re-coat in about 20 minutes. The advantage is the extra brain cells I retain after using it.

Both spray very nicely right from the can with a Porter Cable PSH1 which was around $100.
    "He who dies with the most toys is none the less dead."

I have sprayed Deft brushing lacquer many times with a Wagner siphon type HVLP conversion gun. I thinned ~10%. It worked out well. Even as a brushing type lacquer, it will dry in a matter of minutes, which is a huge advantage in my opinion. As Prashun Patel advises, don't try to apply it too thick. Multiple coats gives better results.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the replies. I am going to give it a shot. I won't buy any extra though. It would just be a waste if it doesn't get used. There is no use in penny pinching for other projects. But these are just some temporary unfinished chairs form Target that I have dyed and shellaced. Now I just need to top coat them.

James