Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gift Saw quandary - Fretting over a Fret Saw

Gift Saw quandary - Fretting over a Fret Saw

Since my son has shown an interest in woodworking with me, I'm thinking of giving him a fret saw (or coping). I'm thinking of two different saws. One is the Olson that that Joel sells at TFWW; the other is the knew concepts. The Olson - as I see it - is serviceable and inexpensive. The knew concepts is the best engineered and that is reflected in the price. My son is a responsible 10.

So should I give him the serviceable and inexpensive saw that is easily replace or should I give him the better saw and save him some frustration?

My vote inexpensive saw, kids tend to be hard on tools not on purpose they just don't know better. My 7 year old son was using my fret saw this weekend, he was having a hard time and keep bending the saw to the side and twisting it around to try to get it to work better. The problem he was having was the blade in the saw was to aggressive (my skip tooth dovetail blade) for him. He tried his cheap coping saw with large tooth count blade and was able to use it better.

The Olson coping saw with the skip tooth blades that Joel sells is excellent...much more than simply serviceable.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

When I was a kid... Dad routinely found his hammer in the garden, I must have been using it as a hoe. Micrometers became small C clamps. Chisels were just sharp screwdrivers. Many pliers went MIA.

Not that I'm saying anything.

Definitely a coping saw for a kid. Including the "kid" typing this post for the same reason.

I love my Knew saws, but when I was 10 they would have been wasted on me.

If he's talented and persistent you can upgrade later.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Blog Entries
    My vote would be for the inexpensive saw. With the extra money, buy your son an inexpensive set of chisels or other woodworking tool(s).

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have a Larson version of the Olson and TFWW blades. My 12 and 9 year old use it as their go-to saw. I'll send you mine and you can send me the Knew to keep safe until he's old enough to appreciate it

Great gift idea!

C

The first bend or kink in the aluminum Knew saw's frame might be serious.

Depends how responsible he is, I kind of think as he grows into adulthood, he might look back at the knew concepts saw with a certain pride that dad trusted him at young age with a great tool that's useable for a lifetime. I know I have a few tools from dad that make me think about him every time I look at them, let alone use them. It does depend to some degree if you can affort to risk the possible damage. Not everyone has deep pockets.
    pat

I have a vintage replica that I bought from Chris Yonker (CME Handworks). I bought about a year ago and I believe it was in the $50-60 range. For a first Fret Saw, I think it would be perfect. I love mine and, after using it for the past year, I have absolutely no desire to replace it. It looks great and works wonderfully. Here is their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CME-H...c/171004326262

And here is a photo:

IMG_20131024_152751_588.jpg
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Another vote for the "starter" saw.

Inexpensive one it is. That's what I was thinking but somewhere along the line I'd gotten the idea that the Olson was fiddly to work with the blades. Thanks all.

Stew - thanks for the link. See some things for dad if nothing else

I'd suggest you have him learn to drive in the 6-year old Accord rather than getting him a new Ferrari when he gets his learners permit. Much better that he gets the Ferrari with his own hard-earned cash when he know that is really what he wants. I have been giving my sons tools every Christmas since they were little so that when they head off on their own, they have no need to raid my tool box. They can fight over the heirlooms when I am dead and gone. I buy them good to very good tools but not the ones that I consider (arbitrarily I must confess) art/extravagance/indulgence. Your son will do fine with an Olsen and if it happens to have a mishap while he is getting his sea legs, both you and he will feel much better about the cost of the lesson.

I bought the Olson from TFWW - it's excellent.

There's nothing to break, and it cost what(?)
    twelve bucks? Not a tough choice, this.
    Last edited by Jim Matthews; 10-24-2013 at 8:20 PM.