Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possibly the nicest metal folding ruler

Possibly the nicest metal folding ruler

I've been wanting a folding ruler for a long time, but I wasn't interested in the wood or plastic versions, too clunky from being so thick. I've seen a few old metal Lufkins before.

I had ordered this aluminum folding ruler from Best Made Company in NY. It wasn't cheap ($45) but this thing is a real beauty, accurate and an absolute dream to use. It's close to what I would expect Woodpeckers to make if they ever make a folding ruler (which they should). I may still pick up an old metal Lufkin from ebay as well. I like having 2 of some tools.

It's exactly 2 meters or 78.75".

I wish it had 1/32" markings for the first foot or so. But it's so crisp as is, I find I can gauge anything under a 1/16 quite well. I can always use the metric side.

Oooh. Metric.

How accurate is the metric side? (I build casework in metric)

All the overlapping markings at the folding junctions are just perfect. It's a well crafted measuring tool. I matched the Imperial scale to my 3 foot Woodpecker ruler and the two were dead on mark for mark. So I can only assume the metric side is equally accurate. Much easier to use this little thing than a larger ruler.

Folded down it's probably half the bulk of a standard folding wood or fiberglass version which is what drew me to it.

John S. thanks for posting the selling company. Went to the web page and found some interesting items. Thought the caliper pen was unique and I chuckled when I saw "Nature abhors a vacuum" on the shop brush handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Woirhaye View Post
    Oooh. Metric.

How accurate is the metric side? (I build casework in metric)
    Check on eBay, you can get the metric version on the eBay UK site...

Ben

That is verry cool - I'm going to look into one. It reminded me that my dad always used an old metal lufkin folding rule. He has been gone for 23 years and it is probaly longer than that since I thought about it. I'll have to ask my brothers if one of them still has it. Thanks for the memories and info!
    Take off a full blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/2 blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/4 blade - How the H--- can it be 1/4" short????

Nice looking tool, John, thanks for posting the pictures.

I wonder why the marks aren't on both edges on the inch (imperial) faces?

That things a real heart breaker. I could never actually include it in my arsenal, just to risky. Love that its red.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    Good point, didn't even notice that. Real bummer as for table saw set-up that thing would be useless...

Two questions: Why does it say 16 inches (16th maybe) and what is the big 'X' for at the 2-1/2" mark?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    Nice looking tool, John, thanks for posting the pictures.

Thank you Frank. I was going to order one until I noticed that. I do all of my measuring from left to right. Can't do that with this rule.

Ben, You can read it upside down for table saw setup. Doesn't seem to be an issue for me.

Having imperial marks on both edges would be useful but I've noticed on some older metal Lufkins the same thing of just being one side and generally the lower side. I prefer the top side anyway.

Like most fixed rulers in the U.S. they all read left to right.

James, the 16 is for 1/16ths. Old engineer rulers would show 100 for 1/10ths which was more odd. The X is the Best made company logo.

I do wish other companies would make these metal versions and add features. Except for really long measurements, I haven't picked a tape measure since using this. I'm not here to pimp this tool for the company. I just like it and enjoy using it. It may not appeal to everyone.

BMI current selection of folding rules can be found here:
    http://www.bmi.de/en/products-gauges...easurement.php

Dieter Schmid Customers Can Find the same or similar (color may vary)
    folding rule at the bottom of this page:
    http://www.fine-tools.com/masss.htm

Good US Source for BMI products:
    http://www.german-hand-tools.com/BMI-Products.html

If you're in the UK, Toolstop.co.uk seem to be pushing BMI Spirit Levels,
    not sure if they can offer anything else.

Outside of Best Made, I do not know if the aluminum folding rules are
    readily available in North America. The price is close to Dieter Schmid.

14. On the surface it looks well made, but for me it's made backwards on the imperial side. I want the bulk of the folded rule to be out of the way for measuring a piece when it is not completely unfolded. I have been using a stick (folding) rule daily for the better part of 40 plus years. The rules that Lufkin makes now are quite a bit more bulky than the ones that they made a few years ago. They had 1 model that was called a "Lufkin Two Way" that read left to right on 1 side and right to left on the other. The stick rules that Lufkin makes now are much more bulky, but I still insist on having one in my back pocket.

Went by Best Made Co. last night and they seem to be sold out of the BMI folding rules. No idea when they're getting any more in either